• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple store, on line or the real thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What do you think is the best way to buy Mac/Apple gear? :cool:

F

Fomer

Well I am not voting because I can't say. I love the store the people there are so friendly and we all share a common thought....( that were better than 97% of the computer population. :D ) No, but seriously its fun trying out the neat little software.... hardware... etc to see if its right for you.

So I would vote store.... but our closest store is 3 hours then a detour through a not so great part of town then through the largest mall in the southeast. Not a great experience getting there. And on the way there I've been quoted to saying "next time I am ordering online!" But when the time comes to get something I always seem to be making the trip again and again. :)

T

TylerMoney

Well..lets put it this way. If there was a store near me, I'd be there right now...or at least if it was open I would be. And I would have bought my iPod there...and a lot of other cool accesories...I'd be playing with all their pretty toys.

However, tehre isn't a outlet near me. so I buy online.

M

Mac Apple

wish i had the choice! In the uk there are only independent apple dealers. my locals are expensive. grrrr. other options include PeeCeeeWorld :p which has all of 3pieces of apple aofware and you have to wait ages for your mac to arrive because they only order so many at a time, the last option for me is John Lewis,they have a cll the apple machines an stuff, limited software but better than pc world.

I heard that apple are looking into uk stores which would be good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am a 5 minute drive from an apple store....i spend so much time their most of the workers know me by name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I say store. I mean everything is just a click/drive away...

- The Graphite Strikes again... :D

D

dziner

I would buy from someone like Mac Mall/Mac Warehouse. Sure it's fun to go to an Apple store and play with all the toys. But when fun time is over and the wallet is getting pulled out - don't buy directly from Apple. All the other places have great deals like free printers, free RAM upgrades, etc. Apple can almost never meet those kinds of deals. The reason these other places can do this is because they cut deals with the other manufacturers like Epson, Canon, etc.

OP
witeshark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
trpnmonkey41 said:
I am a 5 minute drive from an apple store....i spend so much time their most of the workers know me by name
Funny, same here! But the drive is a tad longer (shouldn't be) cause of traffic :p But I'm there again soon -hopefully to get my iPod
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
When I'm at school, the nearest store is in NYC, which is about 5 hours away. The joys of being in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes:

When I'm at home, the nearest store is about 15 minutes away. It didn't open until after I left for college. ::sigh::

K

KLank

dziner said:
I would buy from someone like Mac Mall/Mac Warehouse. Sure it's fun to go to an Apple store and play with all the toys. But when fun time is over and the wallet is getting pulled out - don't buy directly from Apple. All the other places have great deals like free printers, free RAM upgrades, etc. Apple can almost never meet those kinds of deals. The reason these other places can do this is because they cut deals with the other manufacturers like Epson, Canon, etc.
The Apple store is running deals like that right now. Free printer / RAM (after rebate). When I bought my PowerBook last week, they asked about more RAM and I told them no as it was much cheaper at Crucial. The guy asked how much, when he came out with my laptop he had the memory in his hand and said that he could match the price I had gotten online. I'm not sure if this is an exception or because I was buying the laptop at the same time, but they do seem to be flexible where they can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Beatles4Life said:
When I'm at school, the nearest store is in NYC, which is about 5 hours away. The joys of being in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes:

When I'm at home, the nearest store is about 15 minutes away. It didn't open until after I left for college. ::sigh::

what school do you go to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.