1GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro on my MacBook question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I have a 1 GB Flash Drive that I've had for a while. When I use it on Windows and eject it, the light goes off on the flash drive. However, when I eject it from my Mac, the light stays on. I remove it anyway and haven't experienced any data loss. Is it normal for Macs to not shut off the light on the flash drive?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hmm. i can't remember if the light stays on on mine or not. pretty sure you're ok as long as you're ejecting first.

actually, i've even had a couple cable issues with an external 80Gb 2.5" drive (powered by usb, seperated into 4 FAT32 partitions), and after an accidental removal without ejecting first, it still seems to connect fine (luckily!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yep, it's perfectly normal. All my flash drives do the same thing when ejecting from a Mac and they've been working with no problems. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Just wait until the light stops flashing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Yeah flash pen drive does the same.

On my external firewire hard disk it just stops the hard disk spinning completely, whereas when I eject from my Windows PC the drive continues spinning even though Windows says it is OK to disconnect. Like a fool I formatted my external hard disk to NTFS format so it is not always to great mounting with the Mac. Does anyone know how to get a drive back from NTFS into FAT32?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can do it on windows by formatting or in OS X in disk utility (you can also partition). you obviously will lose everything on the disk, so if you have anything important, offload it somewhere else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.