copy protection run amok?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ok, i just want to listen to an album on my mac. not rip songs, not anything else, just load a cd and listen to it on one of many cd players in my home.

specifically i'm talking about "so divided" by ...and you will know us by the trail of dead.

i've tried about 10 times (with a reboot at about try 5) to load this cd. all it does is load, spin a couple times and then eject. the cd icon never appears in finder or on the desktop.

first, to the mods, is discussion of trying to even listen to this cd technically "illegal"? if so, that was really not my intent.

second, if it is ok, how do i get it to play?

note: the cd loads fine and plays normally in WMP10 on my hp laptop at work.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no one's had anything like this happen?

no mod opinion?

i searched google, and came up empty too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What disc is it? I have seen some rare cases where the copy protection is such that the CD simply won't play on a computer. Sony was a huge promoter of this sort of thing.
The idea is that the recording company doesn't want anyone to even think about copying the disc, so they put a hidden track of digital nonsense (that only a computer would read, it works fine on a standard CD player) on the CD. That track then confuses the computer and tells the computer that there never really was a disc inserted into it. It spits it back out or just gives some random "please insert a disc" type message.

This happens randomly, too. I have seen some discs not play in some machines, but play in others. Some discs will play half the CD only, etc. This is one reason why I don't really buy actual discs anymore. I get my music from the iTunes Music Store nowadays.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
specifically i'm talking about "so divided" by ...and you will know us by the trail of dead.

yeah, that's what i was guessing. too bad it's a great cd. i brought it to work tonight and ripped it to an external HD so at least i can listen to it on the mac.

the cd is from interscope. they're owned by sony, right? oh, wait, just saw "2006 universal" on the disc. guess i answered that question at least.

maybe i'll write and complain. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.