PDF help

Q

quackbook

Hi, I got a textbook from my teacher in PDF format. Now we have a test and there specific parts of the text I need to highlight. I can't do it in preview either(it highlights but is not permanent). Is there a program(preferably free) where I can highlight the text(and retain the highlight while saving) in a PDF?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hi, I got a textbook from my teacher in PDF format. Now we have a test and there specific parts of the text I need to highlight. I can't do it in preview either(it highlights but is not permanent). Is there a program(preferably free) where I can highlight the text(and retain the highlight while saving) in a PDF?

Thanks.
Here's an idea you might try (until someone suggests something else). "Print" the textbook, but in the print dialog window, go to the PDF button and choose "Save as PDF". Give the file a different name. Then open it with Preview and try annotating that.

Hope it works!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you really want to do something like that, you are going to need Acrobat Professional.
I can't think of any, nor can I ever recall seeing any free editors that will allow you do notations or otherwise alter a PDF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Save it as a JPEG and highlight it in Photoshop or similar if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you really want to do something like that, you are going to need Acrobat Professional.
I can't think of any, nor can I ever recall seeing any free editors that will allow you do notations or otherwise alter a PDF.
Preview will actually let you add sticky note type annotations.

You open a PDF via Preview. Then in the Tool Mode button set at the top of the page, select the pencil. If you hold it down, you can choose either Text Annotation (default) or Oval Annotation. Then you move your cursor where you want to create a "sticky note box". Click and drag diagonally to make a box. Double click the text (that instructs you to do same) and add your annotations. These sticky notes can be moved about the page if you wish. In an "unprotected" document, you can save the annotated document. My advice would be to save it to a differnt name to protect the original document.

Preview is very powerful. Every day I become more and more impressed with the Mac.

Hope this helps!

Snapshot 2007-02-21 09-17-17.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Preview will actually let you add sticky note type annotations.
Preview is very powerful. Every day I become more and more impressed with the Mac.

Hope this helps!
I know that Preview can do simple notes, but what the OP was looking for was something to highlight text, just like a highlighter marker does on paper.
Acrobat allows you to make markups and detailed, unobtrusive notations.
For what the OP was looking for, a free editor won't be up to the task.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooops, sorry. Misunderstood!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.