newbie trying to design website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch intel imac
ok guys...this forum seems like a great place for me to start learning and i'm hoping you guys can get me started.

basically, my father and brother have a family business in which they are home developers/general contractors. they build fairly large developments consisting of 30-40 houses or condos at a time.

I really want to design a website for them where people and go and find out more info about the company, about the houses (pics,etc..), and future plans

i have no web design experience but i am pretty good with my mac...i use my mac primarly as a home studio from recording and producing music...

could you guys please help point in the right direction of how you think i can get started with my webpage? my main goal is to have a functional and professional looking website for the family business.

Thanks!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
http://www.w3schools.com/

That's where I started. It's a great place to learn HTML, CSS, and Java.

I'd recommend using Macromedia Dreamweaver to build the site, as it seems out of the scope of iWeb...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch intel imac
ok..

ok thanks.

what about the sites i've read from other posts such as programs like goldfish or rapidweaver where you don't really need to know the language but instead use a graphical interface??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Those work perfectly fine, too.

I find however, that learning the coding process and the background info behind what the WYSIWIG program is doing is far more rewarding and useful in the long run.

Also, the "lite" GUI programs like Rapidweaver, iWeb, Sandvox, etc. don't seem up to the task of making a website like the one you described wanting to create.

If you feel that your site doesn't need all that much customization then those programs would suit you fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch intel imac
hmm...

so u do not think that any of the off the shelf apps would suit my needs for this construstion web site?

it just seems like it might take a long time to go through this tutorial to learn how to code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
so u do not think that any of the off the shelf apps would suit my needs for this construstion web site?

it just seems like it might take a long time to go through this tutorial to learn how to code
Good results take time and effort. Especially when you are new to things. Also, if this site is going to be used for a business, you shouldn't find a short, easy, or quick and dirty solution for it. This site is going to have to represent your family's business. Just like a person has to have a good, clean appearance to be taken seriously in a business situation, so does a website.

My advice, take your time and learn the code and do the site the right way.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83/1.5gRam/120gHD
Dreamwaever split screen

On a personal note, I took over the website responsibilities at my company and I stated with GoLive then Dreamweaver. I really only used the WYSIWIG interface and every once in a while I came across a problem I couldn't fix.

I went to the library a month ago and in the "new" section there was a book on HTML / XHMTL and CSS and I picked it up. I started reading it on the train during my commute in the morning and found more than a few ideas/hints just by looking at the code behind the pretty stuff.

I now use the split screen mode where the WYSIWIG is on the bottom and the code is on the top. I find myself looking at the code more than the pretty stuff. On the whole it is nice to know what is going on behind the scenes. If I am in a hurry, I'll just work in WYSIWIG, but as a rule I split screen so I can keep learning new things.

Here's the book.
http://www.cookwood.com/html6ed/contents/
Visual Quickstart Guide - Liz Castro

Also - here is a cool site to look at template sites that other people have come up with. I go here to get inspiration and ideas on how I'l like my site to look/feel and function.
http://www.oswd.org/

chi2flat - in Chicago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend getting and reading the excellent book "HTML Goodies" by Joe Burns. This book assumes you are a complete HTML newbie and leads you through HTML, CSS and a few other good things.

After going through this book, you will be able to "hand code" your own web site, giving you much more flexibility than you can get from lightweight web site builder programs.

I took exactly this course. As a total HTML greenhorn, I bought this book, read most of it, and built my web site. It is not the most fabulous site in the world (probably because I am not much of an artist), but it is pretty good, and its design is more than up to the kind of things you say you are looking for.

Check out www.campbell-tx.net, my site. It is all done in "hand coded" HTML and CSS. In the spirit of Open Source, please feel free to download the source code (Safari, View, View Source), review it, and hack away at it as you like to create a new site! It is always useful to have a working example to start from.

Good luck!

L

LBmtb

Make sure you learn CSS also. It's essential if your website will more than a few pages. Makes updating the presentation SOOO much easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.