• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Refurb MBP or Refurb Mac Pro?

Reaction score
I am looking at the 17" MBP and the x2 2.0 ghz Mac pro at the apple store refurb mac page(http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...e.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=D8593B5A&nclm=CertifiedMac) and I don't know what to get. I kinda want mobility and speed(like MBP). but I also want the ability to upgrade my GFX and have a hoss of a computer so I don't have to buy a new one ever year(Mac Pro).

What would you recommend? I am leaning twords the Mac Pro because I want to be able to still upgrade its GFX and ram for the latest games.

Thanks,
JeX

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
The MBP has great power on the move. But as you said in terms of upgrading it kinda sucks (not just MBP but all portable). However the MP is animal but you can't just stick it your bag and go.

The thing you have to ask yourself is do I need or want mobility. Its a good idea to write down what you need and what you want. When all the needs are checked its down to personal preference.

I would highly recommend the mac pro as I have a MBP and love it but when I used my friends Mac Pro. I was extremely impressed to say the least. But either way you get a great machine!

I know I didn't help to much just rambled on and on and I am sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
They're both amazing machines. I'd get the Mac Pro and if you really need some mobility get a cheapo Dell notebook or something.

By the way I have a MBP refurb and other than the box it comes it you would think it was brand new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.