Calibrating an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I've only had a Mac for a week or so having finally ditched PC's after over a decade. So far everything has been pretty straight forward with the exception of one thing, screen calibration.

On my PC I used the Pantone Spyder with the PhotoCal software and this produced superb results. I've now installed this on my iMac but each time I go through the calibration I end up with a result that is too blue.

I'm plugging the Spyder directly into the iMac so not going through any hubs and I'm using the LCD baffle.

In the options I'm selecting a monitor that doesnt have any colour/brightness controls, a temperature of 6500k and gamma of 1.8 and I'm using PhotoCal 2.7.6. Admittedly this is an old Spyder as I believe that PhotoCal is no longer used but it worked fine on the PC and there is an OSX version of it so I would have thought it should be okay for the iMac too. Just can't understand why the results always come up with whites taking on a blue hue.

Is anyone here calibrating their iMacs with a Spyder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Its not an iMac, so this may be of limited relevance, but I have successfully used SpyderPro to calibrate the Viewsonic monitor I have on my PowerMac, and it has worked very well. I am very pleased with the color reproduction is achieves. So, Spyders do work on Macs. I guess that is why I posted this, just so you would know that SOMEONE has done it successfully.

When you say it is "too blue", how are you judging that? "Too Blue" is a subjective call. I know it sounds stupid, but are you sure?

BTW, I ended up specifying a gamma of 2.2 for my Viewsonic, despite being attached to a Mac. Did you try this on your iMac? I found it made a real difference.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
By too Blue I mean that the colour white now does not appear on screen as pure white but more a bluey white and the Doc has changed from a grey/blue to more of a pure blue.

I'll try changing the gamma and see how that goes.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I think the gamma on my Cinema display is set at 2.2 but could check when I get home. I too have the spyder pro, and am not familiar enough with any of their other products to help out.

Did you try their customer service or support site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If the gamma settting is not the issue, you may have to consider the fact that your Spyder may be aging and in need of replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.