• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

3D Modeling in OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Hi, I am going to be building a new computer desk soon and have drawn up some plans on paper but would like to make a 3D model of the actual desk on the computer. I know I could easily do this with Autodesk Inventor, BUT they dont make it for OS X :sigh: Is there any program that you know of that I could do something like this? It doesnt have to be able to do textures and everything, but colored 3D blocks that you can cut and shape would work great...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have never used it but people tend to recommend "Blender" because its free and has some professional features. There is also "Maya" if you want to pay for the software, which is owned by autodesk if you are brand loyal.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never used it but people tend to recommend "Blender" because its free and has some professional features. There is also "Maya" if you want to pay for the software, which is owned by autodesk if you are brand loyal.

Alright thanks, I will have to check those both out. I am not very brand loyal as I dont use inventor or autocad much, but i do know that autodesk makes some good products. Thanks for the quick response BTW...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Alright thanks, I will have to check those both out. I am not very brand loyal as I dont use inventor or autocad much, but i do know that autodesk makes some good products. Thanks for the quick response BTW...

No problem.. Good luck!

Reaction score
+1 for blender, great program, just started using it not too long ago so im still learning, but it seems fairly powerful and the price is right.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is also Strata 3D. It isn't free though.

Wow, thanks for providing me with that link because, although i didnt pay for that program, searching the net for strata 3D brought up some interesting stuff about google sketchup which is the exact type of program I need. Very simple, user freindly, and not extremely detailed like the others. Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Glad you liked it. I tried the Strata demo a few years back and the renders have a watermark on them though so not usable very much. But I like that program and it does radiosity renders that are really sweet.

I didn't tell you about Modo but I think (but am not sure at all of this) that it's a command line modeling app. I've seen renders and they are awesome though.

A place you can check out for news is about CAD and 3D for Mac is Architosh.

Reaction score
as yet another suggestion, i used a program called 'form Z' my first couple of years at college, i think it was a mac program (though i used the pc version) i dont know how widely used it is, but it was a very easy program to work with.

M

MacHeadCase

Oh yeah! Good point, Subwall!

form·Z! I had tried a demo years ago but never could get past the interface it was way too funky for me. It used to be developed by a French company now I see auto·des·sys is now developing the software.

Anyway, looking at the interface, it sure has calmed down a bit since I used it.
icon10.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.