Will my Camcorder work with a Mac?

Reaction score
I am considering switching to a Mac soon to edit family movies. I have a Sony DCR DVD 92 which goes straight to a mini DVD. Can these be uploaded to the Mac so i can use iMovie? If not, what kind of camcorder do I need? (A guy in an Apple store said I may have issues with this, and might have to use a third party software for it to work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if you buy a laptop, mac mini, or imac you can not use the camcorder at all.

If you buy a mac pro, then you will be able to use it, put the dvd it and use the program mediafork to convert the dvd into a editable format, then import that file into imovie.

If you buy a dv or hdv camera then all you will have to do is plug the fire wire from the camera into the the computer and then open up imovie and hit capture after you hit play on the camera or in imovie, and the video will show up in imovie.

Reaction score
I'm able to pull movies from my Sony Handycam Mini-DVD (DVD101) using Handbrake to rip and compress. From there, I can then edit on my Mac.

Have had my first Mac for almost 2 months now and it is great! Just a word of caution, load up on memory and hard drive space, the movies will eat up both when working with, but it doesn't come to a crawl like my old PC did, still able to work on other things in the meantime.

I went with 250GB HD an down to 150GB and still in process of ripping old movies I had. Will be pushing the originals to a back up hard drive once I burn DVD's.

Good luck and have fun!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.