• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

U.K/Kent Based iMac Owners

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

Thought I would pop by to say hello as i've just signed up on here. Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of buying an iMac for some time now however, I cannot find anywhere other than the Mac shop in Bluewater(which is a very large shopping centre) that stock iMac's/Mac's that I can try out as I'd really like to try one out before considering parting with my hard earned cash. I've been using PC's with Windows for over 10 years and i'm not sure whether I'll adapt easily to using a different OS let alone all the rest of the components ;-)

Rather than march into a shop, such as the store in Bluewater I'd rather see one in action in a less daunting enviroment. I know this will sound quite far fetched but is there anyone in Kent that would be willing to show me the in's and out's of the Mac(it dosen't have to be a iMac-any mac really as long as it uses the latest OS) for a short while??? I know it's an unusual request however, I have telephoned several places(like PC World-they don't have any in) and I'm not sure where or what to do next. This was one reason as to why I never considered purchasing a Mac in the first place as there appears to only be a few select places that have them on display for you to play on and consider purchasing(there's quite a few that sell them in the box...John Lewis for one, which is of no use to me) whereas with PC's that use Windows.. Even my local Kebab shop has one!!! besides many other places :)

Michael.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Rather than march into a shop, such as the store in Bluewater I'd rather see one in action in a less daunting enviroment. I know this will sound quite far fetched but is there anyone in Kent that would be willing to show me the in's and out's of the Mac(it dosen't have to be a iMac-any mac really as long as it uses the latest OS) for a short while??? I know it's an unusual request however, I have telephoned several places(like PC World-they don't have any in) and I'm not sure where or what to do next. This was one reason as to why I never considered purchasing a Mac in the first place as there appears to only be a few select places that have them on display for you to play on and consider purchasing(there's quite a few that sell them in the box...John Lewis for one, which is of no use to me) whereas with PC's that use Windows.. Even my local Kebab shop has one!!! besides many other places :)

Michael.

The Apple site has a page dedicated to finding your nearest Apple registered repair centre, they are usually small outfits (the one in Portsmouth is a one-man-band) and would probably be willing to show you the ropes so to speak.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Hiya,

I am often round the Bluewater direction although I live in Buckinghamshire. It is perhaps possible I could show you my MBP at some point when I am next around your way.

I will however say that I found the staff at the Bluewater store most helpful. I used PC's since I was at school and was really hesitant about going to a mac. However I bit the bullet so to speak and went for a mac. I now have an iMac and a MBP. I will never buy another PC ever.

If you ever find that you need to go back to PC for some reason you now have boot camp or parallels.

I think from memory that you can also return a mac within 14 days if you don't like it. However check with the Apple store for more info.

If you want further info then you can PM me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

Many thanks for your replies. I think what I might do in this case is brave a visit to the Apple store in Bluewater and see what's what. I won't be thinking of buying an iMac until about September time, so I still have plenty of time to save up/decide on what's best.

Michael.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.