Buying second hand software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Hi all

There is some Apple software on eBay that I want. The guy selling it says it is new and unregistered. If I buy it and register it is everything okay from a legal point of view? I'n in England if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi

That sounds fine.

Reaction score
As long as the software isn't pirated then there isn't an issue as long as he's acquired it legitmately. He's bought it, hasn't used it, and is selling it on to you. For all the manufacturer will know, you're the original purchaser.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Thanks for that. As an aside, if the person I bought it from had opened it, used it and regstered it (so it was second hand in the fullest sense) can you legally buy it? Can you transfer a licence in that way?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Thanks for that. As an aside, if the person I bought it from had opened it, used it and regstered it (so it was second hand in the fullest sense) can you legally buy it? Can you transfer a licence in that way?

Depends entirely on the licence itself, some software products have a non-transferable licence. (OEM versions of Windows for example)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
As an aside, if the person I bought it from had opened it, used it and regstered it (so it was second hand in the fullest sense) can you legally buy it? Can you transfer a licence in that way?

Depends on the software. You don't have to licence OS X Tiger for example.

If it was opened, used and registered you could get a refund from Pay Pal if you complained.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.