CAD on XP thru Parallels on OSX 10.4.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
getting an iMac next week. It's a 'freebie' through a program, but I'm trying to get the 256 graphics card on it. If I do it has to be ordered, whereas these program guys want it same day.

Anyway, I'm majoring in Interior Design, and labs at school run AutoCAD on XP. Can my iMac hack it with a 128 card or should I really push for the 256?

Either way, how would the AutoCAD run on Parallels? should I shoot for Linux or Ubuntu instead to free up the processor??

I'm a new switcher, so I don't want to get stuck in a situation that just won't work. Much thanks!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Parallels does not support the use of 3d rendering until its next version...So I would use bootcamp to run autocad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I agree. If you absolutely must use a Mac, then BootCamp would be the better option to run AutoCAD under XP. The 128 MB card should be fine, as well. If you can get the 256 MB one, then go for it. It certainly wouldn't hurt if you get into the more in-depth 3D uses of AutoCAD.

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
i don't mind using Boot Camp, but if they're buying the Parallels for me to use XP... any ideas when the next version of Parallels comes out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.