Aperture and Jpegs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
I tend to shoot RAW, but I recently did a shoot where I shot mostly jpeg. I decided to open up the jpegs in aperture to see what all I could do with them and to my amazement I was able to correct white balance of a few jpegs where it was off. I didn't know I could do that. Can anyone tell me if it is destructive or not? I haven't found much info regarding jpeg editing in aperture. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you have the latest Aperture, it should be non-destructive.

Reaction score
Everything in Aperture 1.5, that I'm aware of, is non-destructive. I used the 30-day trial to manipulate a handful of jpgs and when the trial was over, the original files were right where I had put them with no modifications.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Aperture does not allow you to make changes to the original, therefore it is not damaged. I think anything that allowed you to compress a file to 1/3rd its original file size will not be a lossless format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB, 7600GT/256MB, 500GB
Aperture does not allow you to make changes to the original, therefore it is not damaged. I think anything that allowed you to compress a file to 1/3rd its original file size will not be a lossless format.

You can export images though. For example, the built-in option to send images via email produces a reduced size version of the original. The original will remain intact, but copies can be resized and compressed any way you like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.