Is this a stopper switching to Mac?

Reaction score
I am ready to get a new computer. I've been WinXP pc for a number of years, and work in web design and e-learning. Most of the work I do (except websites) is viewed on pc's, and is created using Adobe products - Flash, Photoshop, etc. So the big issue is fonts. Most of the stuff I develop uses standard Windows fonts - Arial, Times and so on. If I develop on a Mac, I assume the de facto font would be Helvetica.

What is the way to approach this issue? I'd obviously prefer the Mac, but is it foolish to go that route if I need pc font compatibility? Will I end up having to check all of my work on a Windows pc?

I hope anyone who does similar work can help, as I'd love to get a MacPro!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You can check your fonts on a PC running Windows XP on your Mac!

Just get Parallels Workstation, and you can run a virtual Windows PC within a Window under OS X. It's only $79 and you supply the Windows XP disk, and you have a fully functional PC on which you can do your testing (complete with drag 'n drop support, networking, USB 2.0 etc. with the latest updates) while simultaneously enjoying the world of the Mac.

Or you can go the Bootcamp route, where you can dual boot Windows with Mac OS X. The Parallels method, however, is more flexible.

M

MacHeadCase

No use always going the Boot Camp/Parallels route. I have Arial font installed on my Mac. Can't remember if it came with my OS install or if it came with Adobe CS 2 but the Arial font can be read on Macs.

Times is multi-platform and I know for a fact it comes installed on Macs. Helvetica is multi-platform as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Can't remember if it came with my OS install or if it came with Adobe CS 2 but the Arial font can be read on Macs.

Times is multi-platform and I know for a fact it comes installed on Macs. Helvetica is multi-platform as well.
Yeah, the font issue really isn't that big of a deal, as MHC pointed out.
As long as you are using "old standbys" like the ones you mentioned, there shouldn't be any kind of problem.
Besides, as I am sure you are already aware of, if you need to use a specialty or designer font there is always the options of using an image for that or using CSS.

Oh and the Adobe apps are the same as they are in Windows, they all pretty much default to Times New Roman, not Helvetica.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
No use always going the Boot Camp/Parallels route. I have Arial font installed on my Mac. Can't remember if it came with my OS install or if it came with Adobe CS 2 but the Arial font can be read on Macs.

True, but having the option of being able to do Windows things on a Mac is a powerful incentive to get people who might be on the fence to just go ahead and get a Mac.

Over time, the realization that the Mac is a better machine takes hold and the decision to just get one is justified. The idea, of course, is that over time everything Windows dies on the vine. But then again, I've never been an idealist. :black:

M

MacHeadCase

Besides in any browser we can override in our preferences the font that is written in the webpage's code so I really don't see what the problem is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
If you're doing things if flash would the font need to be on the PC? Isn't it all contained in the .swf file? All you need to do is make sure that the fonts you need are installed on the Mac or if you want to use a Mac only font, make the text a picture.

Reaction score
If you're doing things if flash would the font need to be on the PC? Isn't it all contained in the .swf file? All you need to do is make sure that the fonts you need are installed on the Mac or if you want to use a Mac only font, make the text a picture.
Yep I believe this is correct. The .swf is like a picture this avoiding the font issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
fonts as an issue

Thanks to all who replied. I had overlooked the Parallels approach, and didn't realize Arial was installed on Macs. I can happily say I will be investing in a new MacPro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Helvetica, Arial and Times New Roman all come with OS X. And you can use Truetype fonts as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have worked on non Microsoft platforms for over two years (first Linux and now Mac). Fonts are an issue I was really concerned with when I switched, but you will find that all of the old standbys are freely available in cross platform form. Also, there are TONS of new fonts availalable as well.

Fonts are most certainly not a showstopper in a Mac purchase decision!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I just placed an order for my first iMac, and I'm very anxious to see what it's capable of. I am also working on getting all my data ready for transfer. I've read through this thread, and I'm still a little unclear on one point; as a Windows user, are the fonts I've accumulated transferable to the Mac? I have thousands of fonts I've gathered over the last few years doing web development work, and I don't want to lose my font library if I can use it on my new Mac. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.