Downloading Firefox

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've done a search and didn't find anything relevant. I have installed Firefox successfully but I don't want to have .dmg files applicable to Firefox (or any app) on the desktop. I expect to have a Firefox icon on the desktop which I can drag to the tool bar and launch from there. For now I have to double click on the .dmg file and it brings up the application disclaimer which I have to accept. Then another window pops up that I have to double click on,then Firefox invokes just fine. I've downloaded Firefox on lots of non-Mac computers before, what's the magic potion to fix this? BTW, this happened when I installed GoogleEarth also. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
The dmg file is just a disc image used to install firefox.

When you click on the firefox dmg file Finder should be open (If it is not open just open it from the dock) now when you see the firefox icon inside the .dmg file - drag it from there to Application on the left part of the Finder window - thats it - Firefox is now installed. You can then go in to Applications and drag Firefox to your dock - if you want.

Once you've dragged the firefox icon from the .dmg file to the Applications directory just either click on the eject icon in Finder or drag the firefox.dmg file from your desktop to the Trash can on your dock.

The above is the method used to install 99% of Mac applications and is the same method used to install Google Earth. (I say 99% because some applications I've downloaded are just zipped files and there is no .dmg to trash).

Hope thats explained well enough :)

Reaction score
y'know, for ages I never realised that the icon which represents your Apps folder in that FireFox window - is actually a shortcut to your Apps folder ... I used to drag the app to my Finder window and drop it into Apps there ....

So that diagram spells out exactly what you should do ....

nef

Reaction score
since i will be using firefox most of the time can I delete safari to free up some room? I ordered the 80 gig hard drive and the macbook has only 55 gigs left with none of my stuff on it yet

Reaction score
. . . is actually a shortcut to your Apps folder ...
You mean in the Firefox downloaded pseudo-hard-drive icon? 'Cause I downloaded another Firefox to see whether it is an alias, but it ain't.

But it's a heckuvan idea!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
since i will be using firefox most of the time can I delete safari to free up some room? I ordered the 80 gig hard drive and the macbook has only 55 gigs left with none of my stuff on it yet

Instead of getting rid of Safari, you should get rid of other stuff you really don't need (mainly because Safari doesn't take up much space). Look up a program called Monolingual to get rid of around 3-4 gigs of extra languages you'll probably never use. If you're never going to use GarageBand, then that'll clear up another 2-3 gigs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Adium has that Applications icon in it's installer. Very cool idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.