• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What's the deal with LimeWire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Every illegal source of music seems to be charging subscription fees now (i.e. WinMX, Kazaa, Napster, etc.). But, LimeWire is still free. You'd think with the slightly-over-the-top government and music industry campaign to stop illegal downloading, LimeWire wouldn't be able to exist. How is it that they do it still? I mean a little check box that gives you the option of checking either "I will not use this to illegally download music" and "I might use this to illegally download music" wouldn't be enough for anyone with any shread of common sense to assume that most LimeWire users won't use the program to steal music. I just want to know what you all think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
The reason limewire exists? just because you can do something illegal with it does not mean you will. if limewire can offer just one legal download be it a mp3 or .avi etc then they can still exist. its one of those "we offer it but we cant control how you use it". there are some citys here in colorado where stores can sell butterfly knifes but once you walk out of the store your cant possess them.. just one of those stupid things..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I download some illegal music - some from iTunes. I seem to be a *bit* more undecided about music, rather when I did all my music illegally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I download some illegal music - some from iTunes. I seem to be a *bit* more undecided about music, rather when I did all my music illegally.

are you trying to get yourself in trouble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No - that's the reason i stopped doing so much illegal stuff.

iTunes is a lot better than limewire, its much faster, you have an always ready selection of so many tunes, and its not illegal :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If admitting that you have illegally downloading music is wrong, then many of us are in trouble. I've downloaded more music than I care to think about, but I rarely if ever use Limewire.

Back on-topic KoDorSean is correct. Just because I can use MS word to write a ransom note, a hate letter, a suicide note, an anti-anyting tirade or plagiarize a book, should it be outlawed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a very good point baggss.

Almost every program out there can have an illegal use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
I use Frostwire (same thing) for near 95% of my music, becasue many of the versions on there are iTunes downloaded songs.

Plus I'm broke. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
like others have said - just because something is ilegal it doesnt mean you will do it. for example downloading from limewire or stealing a car etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whatever happend to "don't steal music"? I don't think this thread was created to talk about where people steal music from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.