Trouble saving stuff to folders

Reaction score
When I try to save stuff from the internet, I don't seem to be able to chose any folder. For example if there is an image, I click "save image as", then it asks me where. But the chose is very limited. It does not let me browse through my system to chose which folder. It only gives a few choices, such as desktop, documents, music etc. Am I doing something wrong? Surely there must be a way to chose where to save things to!?
Thank you
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There is a way to choose. To the immediate right of the area where the file name is, you will see a big blue triage. Click it and you will get the file system browser you are looking for.

I had EXACTLY the same issue when I first started using Macs. From a Linux or Windows perspective, the dialog is not intuitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Thanx dude, I've been wondering that too!

OP
J
Reaction score
There is a way to choose. To the immediate right of the area where the file name is, you will see a big blue triage. Click it and you will get the file system browser you are looking for.

I had EXACTLY the same issue when I first started using Macs. From a Linux or Windows perspective, the dialog is not intuitive.

Wow. That is so absolutely counter intuitive!!
You have "Save as" for the name of the file,
And you have "Where"
So if you want to chose where, you have to click the blue thing next to... lets see, next to "Where"? Oh no that would not do. Why not where the name goes. Yes, lets make you click next to the name by "save as".
Quite ridiculous.
Thank you very much for pointing it out. I never could have guessed. How bizarre!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes, I agree that it is not the most intuitive thing in the world. Not even Apple gets everything right the first time. Perhaps an improvement will show up in this area in Leopard. We can always hope.

BUT, there are offsetting benefits! So, there may be some things that aren't perfect, but there are also some things that are spectacularly right. Fire up that trusty "Save As" dialog. Check out the upper right area. See the little Spotlight search box? It is amazing - nothing like in Windows I can assure you.

Lets say you want to save your file in a folder half way across your file structure from where you are now. In Windows or most Linux file managers, you are going to have to laboriously navigate from here to there using that tiny little Save As window to do the work. But with Mac OS X, all you have to do is type a little fragment of the destination folder name into that Spotlight box and BOOM - Mac OS X navigates the Save As window to that very spot in seconds! It is SUCH a time saver. It is for me one of my favorite features in Mac OS X.

So, is the Save/Save As dialog perfect? No. Is it better than anything else out there - ABSOLUTELY!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.