Just received the Macbook

Reaction score
i picked mine up this afternoon fro my local mac dealer...and i havnt put it down since. im really impressed with the quality of the laptop and also the features gone into OS X. My family were in hysterics when i started playing with PhotoBooth.

But...im a little slow on the terminal windows. I'd like to get to understand the terminal window and most of its commands. Im ok with a few of the basics.... ls, cd, mkdir "name" etc....but im still a little stuck on copying and moving files, opening files, changing permissions, renaming files etc

do any of you guys know of any terminal guides etc which will help me to get going?

cheers

T

todd51

I would like to learn the terminal more as well, but I sometimes think I just don't have the patience to use it whenever I can just use the GUI.

OP
B
Reaction score
todd51 - i myself, absolutly hate using the little touchpads to do stuff on laptops. When theres not a mouse handy..i think Terminal is going to be my nextbest thing :)

id like to learn it do make scripts and stuff as that would be handyfor work also

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
congrats!

you should check into automator too. it's pretty neat for basic scripting stuff.

btw, the macbook touchpad is the best i've ever used (through a couple cruise cats, and many notebooks)

Reaction score
You're GOLDEN dude!
beer3.gif

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe this would interest you: OSXFAQ's Mac OS X Unix Tutorial.

From the intro:

Are you an old hand at the Mac? Do you love Aqua? Does the Unix beast lurking beneath the surface scare you? Yes? Then perhaps I can help you tame the beast, and put it to good use.

This tutorial is presented as a regular column and takes the Unix beginner through the basics of using the Terminal application - the means by which one speaks and listens Unix. If you need to use Unix, or are merely interested in what it is all about, then read on. I hope to help you harness some of the power at your finger-tips - that's your keyboard fingers, not your mouse fingers!

There is also this book, The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood that could be useful.

And like eric suggests, Automator would be a fun thing for you to dabble in as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.