• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

rant/question/dealing with genius

Reaction score
im on my 3rd macbook in one month due to something whining (cpu maybe???) but i got my 2nd one exchanged today for this one. this one is making the same noise which is not good. when i was at the genius bar the manager told me i could not exchange this one that i was stuck with it or get a refund regardless of how bad this one whined. they blamed it on software which is the worst excuse ive ever heard. so either im stuck with a macbook that whines that i cant even sleep with it on or no macbook at all. why cant they just put out a firmware upgrade or something to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Don't take no for an answer. I'm not sure if this is any basis for a law suit, but if they refuse threatening them with a law suit might persuade them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This isn't a basis for a lawsuit. Threats like that seldom have any effect on a company's decision. Most people have neither the case nor the means to carry out such a threat. Companies know and understand this.

Apple did make attempts to remedy the issue and unfortunately could not. They also offered a refund (according to the OP) so they have been as cooperative as they could.

There was a software update that was supposed to remedy this (at the very least minimize it) so that could be looked into. I have also heard that by simply deleting the Caches folder (HD->Library->Cache) will get rid of the whine.

What you may also want to do is to try and get a "second opinion". You might want to try taking it to a different Apple Store, if possible.

Point being, don't get hostile. Don't make threats. Don't make "demands". That sort of behavior only begets hostility in return. You have the option of getting a refund, which is something that Apple won't normally do after the 14 day period when you first buy it. If the suggestions I mentioned don't work, then I would take them up on that offer.

OP
N
Reaction score
i never got rude with them. i mean i got frustrated and told the women that i want angry at her (even though she did upset me) that i was just frustrated with the situation. i will try the cache thing but if it doesnt work then i will probably go to another store. thanks for all the input. any more suggestions are welcome.

Reaction score
nownot -- First, kudos to you for trying to deal with this instead of ranting about "Apple sucks" or "OS X sucks" or whatever. You're going above and beyond trying to get things resolved. That's awesome.

Second, DB's advice is spot on. If his solution doesn't fix it, try another store. If that doesn't resolve the problem, I would accept the refund offer. You could then either try ordering a new Mac (hopefully one that has been exorcised of this problem) or getting a PC.

Thanks for hanging in there and I know we're all hoping things work out!

OP
N
Reaction score
just an update. this morning i called customer service, at first they were giving me the run around. then all of a sudden "oh sir i found something that might have to deal with your case, im going to transfer you to a pro service something another" i got transfered and spoke to a person called rachel. she was extremely nice and helpful and told me she would call the store to try to work something out. she called the store and talked to the manager and called me back, they cam to the conclusion i could take the macbook back and i would get 20% off anything in the store. i wanted to spend the money and get a macbook pro but didnt have it to spend. instead i got the black macbook and it seems to be alot quieter then the last one, ill give it a few days before i say it is though. so im sticking with this one even if it blows up im keeping it. but apple care gets a A++++ but the apple engineering team behind the logic board gets a c+.

Reaction score
Glad it worked out the way you wanted, nownot! And glad to hear that Apple stood behind their products and their customer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.