• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Core 2 Duo Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'm just wondering if anyone has heard if Apple will release a Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo in it. Every Mac except the mini is equipped with one now, so I'm just wondering when the Mini will make the switch. Also, how well would the current mini with the 1.83 GHz Core Duo and 2 gig of memory handle for a person who uploads a lot of pictures to the web and does a lot of browsing, uses excel, some video editing, and maybe listening to music all at once? A buddy of mine is looking to get one. He probably wouldn't actually do all of that stuff at once but just in case he ever did, do you guys think the mini could handle it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Nope. Nobody has heard anything, nor will they know anything until such an upgrade happens... if it ever happens.

The Mini as you described it would be just fine for your friend. His needs don't seem that pressing or heavy, so the Mini is a perfect match for what he would use a computer for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a suspicion, or perhaps just a fond hope, that in the near future, Apple will start to differentiate (at least for now) by number of cores. The Mac Pro line will go to octal cores (8) using two of the newly announced quad core chips, the iMac line will go to quad cores, using just one of these chips, and the Mini will go to Core2Duos. Time will tell, but that is my "suspicion". Pro = 8 cores, iMac = 4 cores, Mini = 2 Cores. Makes sense to me...

Reaction score
I upgraded my mini to a 2.0GHZ C2D chip and it improved in benchmarks.. its almost identical to my macbook pro (2.33Ghz) - both have 2GB of ram, mini has a faster hard drive though.

For the price you pay, you might as well get the mac pro - but its nice having a fast small-form factor to do tasks with and be able to carry around as well, if needed. It does run hot, sometimes as high as 70C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
I upgraded my mini to a 2.0GHZ C2D chip and it improved in benchmarks.. its almost identical to my macbook pro (2.33Ghz) - both have 2GB of ram, mini has a faster hard drive though.

For the price you pay, you might as well get the mac pro - but its nice having a fast small-form factor to do tasks with and be able to carry around as well, if needed. It does run hot, sometimes as high as 70C

T7200 chip?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.