• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Newbie question on burning video DVDs

Reaction score
Hello, everyone, I have some questions regarding video DVD creation.

I have a number of .avi videos of music performances which I need to burn to DVD (so that they play on any standard DVD player, and not just on computers). I also need to manually put chapter marks at the start of every movement. In the past few days I've already burned 2 such video DVDs, but it has been extremely time consuming. I had to import files to iMovie, and the import process usually took just as long as the video was. Then, after I added the chapters, I exported the iMovie project to iDVD and burned it out, and iDVD would take just as long to process the video... If I had a video of a 90 minute concert, it would take about three hours to get the whole process done (90 minutes importing to iMovie, 90 minutes for iDVD to process the whole to DVD)

Is there any possible way (or software) that can let me add chapter marks to an .avi file, and then do a one step conversion directly to DVD video? I used to use Nero Vision on my PC, which could do exactly what I wanted, I hope that I could do the same on my new Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Is there anyone who could give me advice on how to quicken up the process? Or is there a more efficient way to get my tasks done? I urgently need help on this, since I have a large number of video files I need to process for work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Have you tried using iMovie and iDVD???

EDIT: My bad... didn't read the whole post (was really just giving you a "bump"). I don't know of a faster way given the fact that you are wanting to edit Chapters into the movies. Can you do the editing in iMovie (or used the edited .avi) then do the burning through Toast?

I don't believe there is a trial version, but if you do much DVD creation at all it is worth the investment IMO.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

Also... To speed up the process... I turn OFF the disk verifying. That cuts off a great deal of time. I can "verify" it myself by throwing it in my DVD player to see if it works.

OP
P
Reaction score
Have you tried using iMovie and iDVD???

If you read my first post, I AM currently using iMovie and iDVD; I'm looking for a more efficent way of doing the job, since I have to convert each file two times (once on iMovie import, once on iDVD burning)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" - IMAC 20"
I feel your frustration. I am in the process of burning my camcorder files onto dvds. It is a lengthy process, but I convert them all to a disk image which makes it easy to make multiple copies, and it takes up less space. if you find a better way, let me know

OP
P
Reaction score
EDIT: My bad... didn't read the whole post (was really just giving you a "bump"). I don't know of a faster way given the fact that you are wanting to edit Chapters into the movies. Can you do the editing in iMovie (or used the edited .avi) then do the burning through Toast?

I don't believe there is a trial version, but if you do much DVD creation at all it is worth the investment IMO.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

Also... To speed up the process... I turn OFF the disk verifying. That cuts off a great deal of time. I can "verify" it myself by throwing it in my DVD player to see if it works.[/QUOTE]

I got some advice from another forum on bypassing the importing to iMovie step, and it worked well enough for me... at least I'm spared the entire trouble of two-step conversion. I'll try using Toast next time and see whether Toast or iDVD is quicker in converting the project to DVD format. I guess the only thing missing in Toast is the ability to manually create chapters (which can be done in Nero Vision); other than that Toast is perfect for my needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.