Apple Care Protection Plan Warranty Question!!

Reaction score
hello everyone!! i just got my first new macbook pro yesterday. i am soo excited and i love this darn thing soo much. everything just flows so well and the keyboard is amazing. anyways i bought my computer with the apple care warranty but i didnt set it up yet. i have a question about it. i know that you have up to 1 year after you purchased your new mac to buy the apple protection plan. well my question is if i wait till the last day to sign up does that mean the protection plan will kick in from that day or from the day i bought the computer. i mean say i add it now right. i have 1 year manufacturing and 3 years extended. if i do it now that means in feburary 2011 my warranty will be over. but say i dont put the extended warranty now and wait till like december 2007 to activate it, does that mean that in december 2011 my warranty will be finished or is it still feb. 2011? i hope everyone understands what i am saying. if you wait till the last minute, will the warranty kick in from the day you activate it or from the date of purchase? because if you wait a little while, you get a couple of more months at the end because you still have that manufactures warranty. let me know. i hope this makes sense. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It starts from the the day you bought the computer...
The applecare makes your TOTAL warranty 3 years, instead of the standard 1 year... Meaning it ADDS 2 years to your existing warranty.
The only reason to wait on getting Applecare is you get to hold onto to your money a bit longer....

CONGRATS on the new MBP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Firstly Apple Care is from the day you bought the macbook pro not the day you activate the apple care.

Secondly my understanding - this may be incorrect - is that you get a total of three years cover with Apple Care so if you bought the MacBook Pro this month, Apple Care will be up in Feb 2010 - but I may be mistaken.

Reaction score
If you buy AppleCare with a Mac I think it's automatically registered, and you get three years' phone support instead of just one if you buy it later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
hello everyone!! i just got my first new macbook pro yesterday. i am soo excited and i love this darn thing soo much. everything just flows so well and the keyboard is amazing. anyways i bought my computer with the apple care warranty but i didnt set it up yet. i have a question about it. i know that you have up to 1 year after you purchased your new mac to buy the apple protection plan. well my question is if i wait till the last day to sign up does that mean the protection plan will kick in from that day or from the day i bought the computer. i mean say i add it now right. i have 1 year manufacturing and 3 years extended. if i do it now that means in feburary 2011 my warranty will be over. but say i dont put the extended warranty now and wait till like december 2007 to activate it, does that mean that in december 2011 my warranty will be finished or is it still feb. 2011? i hope everyone understands what i am saying. if you wait till the last minute, will the warranty kick in from the day you activate it or from the date of purchase? because if you wait a little while, you get a couple of more months at the end because you still have that manufactures warranty. let me know. i hope this makes sense. thanks!

Ride and RND are correct. it comes with a one year standard warranty and applecare adds two years from the date the computer was bought for a total of three years.. here is some good info on applecare

http://www.apple.com/support/products/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you buy AppleCare with a Mac I think it's automatically registered, and you get three years' phone support instead of just one if you buy it later.

this is incorrect.. applecare will NOT be registered automatically.. you have to do that or it will not be covered under applecare.. phone support with the stardard one year warranty is only 90 days not 365. if you buy applecare your phone support is for the full three years from the time the computer was bought.

Reaction score
On the Apple online store it says:

"When you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan (Auto-Enroll) and a Macintosh at the same time from the Apple online store, you are automatically registered in the plan..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the Apple online store it says:

"When you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan (Auto-Enroll) and a Macintosh at the same time from the Apple online store, you are automatically registered in the plan..."

great point, I assumed she/he bought it at an apple store or a retail store.. in that case you would have to register it yourself.. my mistake.

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it's one of those things that's different when you buy online to when you buy in a retail outlet. I can never get my head round that sort of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awaiting Delivery.. 24" C2D
I brought Apple care with my iMAC (waiting with baited breat for delivery).

(as per KoDorSean)

The guy at apple store said:-

12 months parts warranty
90 days labour warranty and calls to help desk (or 4 calls).
After this any calls to the help desk are charged at £40 (in the UK) a call.

As I took it out at time of purchase I got £30 off and after some haggling and pointing out I had a student union card I got it for £85.

If you take it out after purchasing your mac it's harder to get any discount.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awaiting Delivery.. 24" C2D
Just to round this off....

My iMAC is on its way from the sunny far east and should be with me in the next couple of days.

And.... I have had an email from the Apple store to say that my Apple cover has been automatically registered and started from the day of order (13th Feb).

Hope this helps.:tusks:

Reaction score
From the Far East? I thought UK Macs came from Ireland.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Oooh... if so Apple should deliver products shipping from Ireland with a pint of Guinness.

Who will sign the petition!!!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

No, they go from China to the UK and if they are bought with any other goodies (like a Cinema Display) or are customised they go to Ireland first before delivery to you.

When I ordered my PowerMac with Display and customised parts I was able to track the whole process:

1) The PowerMac was dispatched from China to the US to have the G5's installed and extra RAM.
2) The Cinema Display was dispatched from Holland where they are built.
3) The PowerMac was dispatched from the US to Ireland where the UK bits were added (i.e Keyboard and documentation).
4) Both parts were united in Ireland prior to shipping to my doorstep. (presumably the whole system got tested at this point)

When I ordered my MacMini it came direct from China.

I'll be interested to see what the packing labels on my MB-Prio say when it gets here.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
I have had an email from the Apple store to say that my Apple cover has been automatically registered and started from the day of order (13th Feb).

That means you're losing a week or so of cover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Here's the thing I never understood about AppleCare. On the web, it shows the apple care plan in a box. Is the plan actually supposed to come with a box of stuff? I bought apple care and never saw a box like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.