• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My next will be a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I have decided that my next computer will be a PC. I have heard it said that Macs aren't for everyone, and I can believe it. My iBook was ok on the honeymoon, but after the new wore off it was just another computer, one that has a few cool features and MANY, MANY annoying ones. I have came the the state of mind that Macs are just toys, no real work can be done because there is always something going wrong. A bouncing icon catches one's eye, a strange noise comes out of no where, I hit the wrong function key and all of humanity scatters and my work is lost or thrown into the most annoying thing on any computer I have ever used...Expose. Yes, I said it, Expose. I'll say it again, Expose. It is, by FAR, the most annoying and baffling thing on Mac. I don't mean I'm confused by it, I'm confused by the thought that it is easier than simply clicking a tab in a taskbar.
Physically, the iBook is decent, pretty. But my "n" key came off a while back, that was frustrating, and my fan practically stays on when all I do is listen to iTunes, go to my few forums, and talk on iChat. I KNOW it doesn't take that much of a processor to do those three things. Well, I guess I'm asking too much of my G4, because it throws a fit. Gets ungodly slow, Applications randomly quit, I have some voice thing that I have to keep minimized that I cannot get rid of and I don't even know where it came from. Safari is a great browser, when it works. When it doesn't it's worse than sticking my fingers in a meat grinder. The scrolling is horrid, jerky, it takes about 15 seconds of the pinwheel thing to scroll with Safari. The sad thing is, I have "smooth scrolling" turned on. Smooth? I think not.
The commercials are lies for Apple, things aren't effortless, especially when you have to deal with things like Expose, rough scrolling, fans, jerky minimization, and repairing permissions every day in order to be tolerable. I thought I didn't like Vista when I tried it out in the store, well, it just keeps looking better and better as I stare into the OS of Mac 10.4.8.
Here's to my Apple: It was real....the first week when you worked and were still cool. Now I realize that you're just a toy, nothing more.

[/rant]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are so many ways to respond to this that I don't know where to begin. Maybe I just won't say anything and simply wish you better luck in Vista Land.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
My work bought me a new PC with 250GB HD and 2GB RAM etc, man i love coming home from work to my MacBook and OSX :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I work on a PC all day at school. I come home to my Mac and think "ughhh." I know I'm saying this to the wrong crowd, so there is no need to say anything there baggss. I just thought I'd let you all know that there are indeed re-switchers. If mine worked half way decent half the time and and a few things were different, I wouldn't hesitated to buy another. But it has been no walk in the garden so to speak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do you keep it maintained?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I find the iBooks are not the best. My friend's sister has one and every time I use it its rather unpleasant.. can't wait to get back the the MBP, or G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
UserofMacOSX,
Wonderful news for you... Congratulations. Enjoy your time with Vista... Although... if you don't like OS X... You probably won't like it's cheap clone (Vista)...

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you keep it maintained?

Yes, I actually have to repair the permissions every day or it is awful, can't even use it. :radioacti :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If its that bad, I'd guess that something is corrupted someplace. I had an iBook before my iMac, and I multitasked all the time, and never had any problems like what you are having.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VPC is not worth it. Its extremely slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
My roommate has edited HD footage on his iBook, they're tough if well maintained.

As for the topic at hand, like you said "Macs aren't for everyone". Some like the fluid simplicity and ease of workflow on Macs, but some prefer the haggard interface and the stunning over-complication of Windows.

Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
You probably won't like it's cheap clone (Vista)...

Have you ever used it? Because it's nothing like OS X, but it is a lot like XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

I have fooled with it a bit.... I'm not a fan of it or XP.. though both serve a purpose to those that need it.

I was reffering to the fact that a lot of the features are direct rip-offs of OSX... Examples in the YouTube video linked below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNuq94Zg_8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Ban him...close the thread...etc for trolls...

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That is what I like about it. I like XP and 3.1. LOL

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ban him...close the thread...etc for trolls...

Just because I don't like something that I have used for a while and post about my OPINION, doesn't make me a troll. Or even if it does in this bizarre Mac world, so be it.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ToddG, I don't think you want anything I have, ECSPECIALLY the iBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.