• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Not for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Well, I got a MacBook, really love it, but it's just not practical for me. I'm a computing student, and we exclusively use Windows at college, so I just don't fit in with my sexy mac. I've had compatability issues with documents I've dritten using mac and the performance of Windows in bootcamp just isn't upto anything I expected. It is with a heavy heart that I shall go back to a PC laptop and sell my MacBook. If anyone is interested, £650? PM me.

Maybe I'll come back one day, or who knows, maybe I won't even go through with it, but it makes me sad, because it's so cool and nice to use. When will the world wake up???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
How long have you had it? Its it less that 14days, you can take it back to Apple.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bought it from a friend who got 3 of them quite cheeply from Apple a month ago, so it'll probably end up on eBay. So long as I don't loose more than say £50 I'll be content that I've tried. I have another thread in the buying/selling forum if anyone is interested.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
1) I've had compatability issues with documents I've dritten using mac

2) the performance of Windows in bootcamp just isn't upto anything I expected.

Could you expand on this a little?

1) If you create documents on the Mac using say iWorks then you will need to export them to a different format to use them elsewhere, otherwise you shouldn't have any problems. What documents did you have trouble with?

2) Using Bootcamp you are running completely natively so the performance will be identical to any similar specification laptop. The only lack in performance the MacBook has is in having integrated graphics so high end FPS games will suffer but that holds for all cheap laptops, anything under about 800 quid will likely have integrated graphics.

Amen-Moses

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am writing an interactive quiz for a college assignment, and the powerpoint file will not open on a pc, forcing me to revert to an earlier version and work forwards again

and xp glitches on my macbook. Yes, I know what you are saying, it has full access to the hardware without any overheads, so the performance is what I would get from a pc laptop with the same specs. However, the sound glitches now and again and the mouse skips around whether using the touchpad or an external mouse.

It's just that for this much money, I wanted to be blown away by it, and I'm just not.

Reaction score
The skippy touchpad/sound issue in Boot Camp has been addressed here before, I think. I did a quick search and came up with nothing but I'm sure it's here somewhere.

There was even a solution offered, but I can't remember that, either. Helpful, huh? :)

Reaction score
Well, I got a MacBook, really love it, but it's just not practical for me. I'm a computing student, and we exclusively use Windows at college, so I just don't fit in with my sexy mac. I've had compatability issues with documents I've dritten using mac and the performance of Windows in bootcamp just isn't upto anything I expected. It is with a heavy heart that I shall go back to a PC laptop and sell my MacBook. If anyone is interested, £650? PM me.

Maybe I'll come back one day, or who knows, maybe I won't even go through with it, but it makes me sad, because it's so cool and nice to use. When will the world wake up???

I wonder if it is more of a compatibility issue or the 'not fitting in' issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am writing an interactive quiz for a college assignment, and the powerpoint file will not open on a pc, forcing me to revert to an earlier version and work forwards again

Umm, you made a powerpoint file using Microsoft Software on the Mac and it can't be opened on the PC? Sounds like you should be whinging at Microsoft!

What Microsoft software does on Macs is not a problem with the Mac, maybe if enough people complained they would fix their crap software.

I've never understood why Microsoft can't get their software applications to work together nicely, we have to downgrade all our Office-XP installations to Office-97 format in order for our Office 2000 to be able to read the files (and the opposite).

Personally I've not experienced the problems you refer to about sound and rodents, neither in Parallels or Bootcamp versions of XP, mind you I've upgraded my MacBook to 2Gb RAM and a 100Gb 7200 HD so maybe that helps?

Amen-Moses

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if it is more of a compatibility issue or the 'not fitting in' issues

Oh god no, I have blue hair, I'm not arsed about fitting in. But since my Macbook has been away getting mended, I have missed him. I think I'll keep him and just use Windows at college.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... I have missed him ...

Oh dear, it looks like you're hooked. ;)

The funny thing is back in the dim and distant I always referred to my RiscOS boxes as "she" (and my Amiga come to think of it) and my Macs have all be "he" but my PC's (even when running Linux) have all been "it".

The DS is also a "he" whereas my PS2 is an "it".

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
What's the spec of it mate? May help you to sell it if people know the spec...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

and xp glitches on my macbook. Yes, I know what you are saying, it has full access to the hardware without any overheads, so the performance is what I would get from a pc laptop with the same specs. However, the sound glitches now and again and the mouse skips around whether using the touchpad or an external mouse.

It's just that for this much money, I wanted to be blown away by it, and I'm just not.

This is one of those cases where I think that little "Made for XP" or "Made for Vista" sticker makes a difference. All the other PC makers make sure their Hardware is Windows compatible to the fullest extent posable. Apple on the other hand doesn't really care as running Windows is not their prime objective. I don't think many Windows switchers realize this.

M

MacHeadCase

Powerpoint is made by Microsoft so looks like it's their software, it's their problem for not making it compatible. With a PC, no less!
icon11.gif

Apple isn't perfect but let's not make this their responsibility when it is not. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.