Win/Lin Switch With Techie Questions

Reaction score
Hiya

I'm a Windows and Linux user by profession, and have had my MBP for a month. It has been a great experience and took me about 2hours to get to grips with OS X....4hours to hack the Modem scripts to get me connected to the internet via my mobile phone.:eek:

Her are my newbie questions:
1. How do I apply the same item-list format in Finder for all folders.
2. How do I apply a short-cut key to applications...I've tried setting them in System Pref>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts page.
3. As previously mentioned, I use my mobile phone to connect to the internet (configured as a modem). Sometimes my MBP disconnects from the phone and displays scrolling "disconnecting...". I can never get it to recover and have to reboot. Is there a way to recover with out rebooting?

Many thanks for your input:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hiya

I'm a Windows and Linux user by profession, and have had my MBP for a month. It has been a great experience and took me about 2hours to get to grips with OS X....4hours to hack the Modem scripts to get me connected to the internet via my mobile phone.:eek:

Her are my newbie questions:
1. How do I apply the same item-list format in Finder for all folders.
2. How do I apply a short-cut key to applications...I've tried setting them in System Pref>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts page.
3. As previously mentioned, I use my mobile phone to connect to the internet (configured as a modem). Sometimes my MBP disconnects from the phone and displays scrolling "disconnecting...". I can never get it to recover and have to reboot. Is there a way to recover with out rebooting?

Many thanks for your input:D

Hello! And welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what you are wanting as far as the format in all folders...
For Shortcuts to the applications... I use QUICKSILVER... I have it set to open with the F1 key.. then I just type the first few letters of whatever App. I am wanting.. or If I want to open the entire Applications folder, I just type out App, it pulls up Applications, I hit enter, and Viola I'm in my Applcations folder... (you can also place the App. Folder in the Dock)
Quicksilver can do SOOOOOO much more. I use it alot to upload pictures to Flickr w/ just a few keystrokes... I use it to access the Shelf, I use it to send emails, and email attachments... I am just scraping the surface of what it can do.

What mobile phone and service provider are you using as a modem??? That will help me figure out your "disconnecting" issue.

I use my Sprint 700p as a modem from time to time on my iMac, and on others laptops...

I hope some of this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
oreomitch, check out the Linux to Mac switcher's guide at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

for a wealth of Linux oriented switchers tips, as well as lots of simply Mac specific information. You may find it will enhance your Mac experience more quickly than might otherwise be the case.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hello! And welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what you are wanting as far as the format in all folders...
For Shortcuts to the applications... I use QUICKSILVER... I have it set to open with the F1 key.. then I just type the first few letters of whatever App. I am wanting.. or If I want to open the entire Applications folder, I just type out App, it pulls up Applications, I hit enter, and Viola I'm in my Applcations folder... (you can also place the App. Folder in the Dock)
Quicksilver can do SOOOOOO much more. I use it alot to upload pictures to Flickr w/ just a few keystrokes... I use it to access the Shelf, I use it to send emails, and email attachments... I am just scraping the surface of what it can do.
...just as an example, for instance on windows, you can hit Windows+E to open Explore...I'd like to do something similar for Finder and other frequently used apps.

What mobile phone and service provider are you using as a modem??? That will help me figure out your "disconnecting" issue.

I use my Sprint 700p as a modem from time to time on my iMac, and on others laptops...
I use a Nokia 6600 with Virgin Mobile, here in South Africa...When my Mac displays "disonnecting...", my phone still indicates that it is connected (using GPRS)...I then reboot the phone and the Mac (Not a good reflection of a Mac) to get me up and running again.

I hope some of this helps.
Many thank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.