Not entirely satisfied with my new, Refurbished Black Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
So after a few discussions (here and here) it finally arrived!

After a disappointing morning waiting around, it finally arrived late afternoon! I was so happy! Upon opening, I noticed that I was one of the lucky ones who had actually received one of the original Apple Designed Boxes. Inspection of all the accessories revealed brand new looking items; again very happy with that.

Onto the Macbook itself. The exterior of this thing is amazing - not one scratch or blemish! The black matte surface is sexy. It really stands out and looks professional and cool at the same time. The inside however, is a different story. Whilst the matte surface and screen are perfect, the keyboard and trackpad button aren't too my expectation. Btw, I have my gf's white Macbook to compare with as well which is a brand new model with a Core2Duo processor.

• The keys themselves look very shiny; almost greasy, and it doesn't look like the ones that my gf's white, new macbook has. Is this because the keys are black?
  • The keys aren't as 'springy' when I type with them. They're more shallow than the ones I got used to with the other mac. So they don't feel as good - they feel harder to press and almost pc like. Is this because its a refurb? Maybe one of the problems was the keyboard? Or do you think its because its an older model (this one is the model with Core Duo processor rather than the Core2Duo).
  • After about 5 minutes, without using it once, the f10 broke! One side of it is lopsided; I think a spring has broken or something. Clearly this is a refurb fault and I'm going to have to get it fixed.
  • The trackpad is nice but the button is very clicky - I didn't expect it to be so loud! Again, its almost PC laptop like! The other macbook's button is dead silent when I click it. When I compared the two buttons, I found that my button is slightly more raised than the one on the white macbook.

Clearly I'm disappointed with the f10 button breaking but I am equally, actually, more disappointed with the other things too, especially the keyboard. It just doesn't feel half as good as the other one. Plus, it looks really greasy and shiny which makes the inside look a bit disappointing compared to the sleek, cool looking outside.

Am I being too picky? It IS a refurb after all... but I DID pay extra to get this black one specifically. Do all refurbs get the keyboard problem? What about the trackpad? Grrr.. anyway like I said, I'm not entirely happy.

Since I have to get it sent to get the f10 button fixed I'm wondering if I could actually blag a replacement somehow. I dunno. What's your advice guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
do you have a local apple store near you? if so take it in and have them fix it.. it comes with a one year warranty refurb or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo
When I purchased my Macbook I was considering a refurb model from Apple to save $150 but then heard about the open box option (or refreshed) model they had available at the local Apple store for 10% discount, not as much of a discount but I was able to get it the same night so I had the store hold it for me.

When I got to the store the salesman pulled the Macbook out from the back and started to ring me out. I asked him to hold on a minute while I checked out the computer. Good thing I did, the top exterior had scratches, the bottom exterior had TONS of scratches, I think the feet were missing. I opened the unit and the screen had smudges all over it, the wrist pad was filthy dirty (it was a white model) and even the power cords looked dirty. I was totally disappointed that the Apple store would resell a computer that looked like it had about 6 months of usage on it. I asked if it was a floor model and they said no, just a customer return.

I thought to myself, it's not worth the savings and I asked the salesman to get a new computer and ring it up. For me it was the right decision, I would not have wanted to deal with a Macbook that had been well used prior to me purchasing it. I've had my Macbook for 2 weeks now and I'd have to say it's the best laptop I've ever owned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
That's unfortunate that you have some problems with your refurb. I have two refurb'ed iPods and they have been great.

However, it sounds to me like you have a Macbook refurb or otherwise that has problems, and since they're warrantied you are entitled to send/take it back and have those issues addressed. A broken F10 key means a broken Macbook (F10 is used extensively with Exposé; I wouldn't stand for it) and that is something that you can point out to the techs along with your other issues.

It is too bad that it isn't up to your expectations and you'll have to wait a little longer to get a perfect one, but consdering the cost of this item and the length of time you'll be wanting to use it you are best served having Apple make it right for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Mine is a refurb and is absolutely flawless, but it happens. My first brand new car was a lemon while the one I bought used before it ran perfect. I would take it into the apple store and show them. i wouldnt mail it in, I would go in person and talk to them. It's been my experience with apple, that they really do care about customer service. I am sure they will make it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that you're not so happy.

The broken key is pretty bad - but I think that'll be sorted by Apple with no worries.

Taking it to an Apple store might not be the easiest thing in the UK as they seem to be few and far between - where abouts do you live?

This page has the loacations of Apple stores Apple Retail Store Locations

When playing with the blackbooks at places like PC World the keyboards on those are always shiny compared to the outer colour. Similarly the keys on the white macbook are not glossy like the outer casing. Having not owned a black macbook I don't know if the ones I've seen are just well used or if it is part of the design - a contrast. Glossy white macbooks with matt keys - matt black macbooks have glossy keys??

The mouse thing - well I guess that's personal - however I would have thought if the macbook was 'well' used then the mouse pad would show signs more so than any other part. (This is a guess based on what my previous laptops have looked like after a few months of usage - the trackpad is the part that seems to show the most use)

Either way I hope you get this sorted out soon, if you're lucky enough to live near an Apple Store I think they keyboard might be one of those things they could fix right there and then.

Good luck with this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your replies. After some thought, I guess I should not have expected perfection - it is a refurb of one of the old models after all. But I didn't realise that the keyboard was going to be so different - to be honest, it looks terrible to me compared to the white macbook. It reminds me of pc like keyboard looks. The main thing to me is that it just doesn't even feel the same. At this point in time, I'm regretting my decision now and I want to buy a new one.

What do you think my chances are of exchanging it are like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Well, when I purchased my refurb macbook, I spoke through instant messenger to one of the apple sales people while making my purchase. I was told that I had 2 weeks to make a return. If the box is unopened, then a full credit would be made to my acct. However as in your case, if box is opened, then a 10% restocking fee is applied once the return is received at the apple store. Give them a call. Be honest with them and tell them you are unhappy with your item. Like I said, i asked them what their return policy was if I didn't like the macbook. I was worried that I would get a "well used" refurbed macbook. The online associate told me no worries, 2 weeks to return the item. If I were you, I wouldn't use it though, and for sure, don't register it online in your name. Gve them a call, can't hurt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
If the only thing thats bothering you the most is the shiny used appearance you get with a black keyboard, ask them if they might change the keyboard for you.
As Jaster said you will loose 10% for restocking and then pay the full price of a new unit thus in total the new unit will end up costing you more than if you got it in the first place.

if u dont mind let us know what happens

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As your macbook arrived with a broken key you can send that back for a full refund - your in UK right - check you Statutory Rights - the product was actually broken - this makes it unusable it doesn't matter if it's a refurb or not.

I suggest you take this up with Apple immediately if you have no luck with them contact your local trading standards office or try one of these links:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
BBC guide to Consumer Law
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Try Apple first - if they don't want to play nice look at those web sites - to be honest the most useful thing would be to make contact with a local Trading Standards office - they can be a bit slow but they can be a real help with something like this.

EDIT: As the above post said - maybe Apple will be very apologetic and will be very happy to swap out the keyboard for you - but if they try stiffing you for a restocking fee - check with Trading Standards as advised in this post.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all, thank you for all of your replies. I've been too busy to post recently but I finally got the whole thing sorted 2 days ago.

RNDDave was right; since my product was already damaged on arrival it is my right to claim a full refund. I called up Apple 2 days ago and the guy said that since my unit is a refurbished one, I have two choices: either get my problem (the f10 key) repaired; or have a full refund. Note that if my unit was brand new I would also have been entitled to a replacement.

But I opted to just go for a full refund. Less than 24 hours later, the unit was picked up and I should receive a full refund within 5-7 working days.

So now I'm back to where I was - looking to purchase a Macbook. In hindsight, the fact that I was sold a damaged unit has actually been a blessing. I didn't bother to have a look at a black macbook in person before I made my purchase; I just assumed it would pretty much be exactly the same as the white one I used.

So the faulty macbook has actually given me a lifeline cos I can now rectify my mistake - I'm going to purchase a white one instead. I'll be making a separate thread about my second purchase which I will probably be doing tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks again for your help.

p.s.
Well, when I purchased my refurb macbook......I was told that I had 2 weeks to make a return. If the box is unopened, then a full credit would be made to my acct. However as in your case, if box is opened, then a 10% restocking fee is applied once the return is received at the apple store....

As Jaster said you will loose 10% for restocking and then pay the full price of a new unit thus in total the new unit will end up costing you more than if you got it in the first place.

if u dont mind let us know what happens

cheers

The terms and conditions on refurbished returns are pretty much this:

• If you recieved a faulty unit (such as mine) then you are entitled to a full refund if you claim within 14 days of delivery
  • If your product is fine but you are simply unhappy with your purchase or you changed your mind, then you will need to pay a transportation fee: £30 if your original purchase was under £300, £60 if it was more than £300.

c.f. 7.2 section D for more details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you sorted it mate - better look with the next one :)

You going to take a risk on another refurb?

I know that this one arrived in a poor state but mine was fine and I'm so far loving it it. Either way I hopr you're going to be happier with the next purchase.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for completeness, I wanna state that I went and bought another Refurbished Macbook in WHITE. I'm extremely happy with it. Its perfect in all ways; I have no complaints whatsoever!

So it turns out that I just didn't like the Black Model, that's all. After the refund went through and before I had purchased a replacement, I went to John Lewis. Someone told me that they have display models of the latest macbooks and macbook pros in both colors so I went to have a look.

I spent about 10 minutes inspecting both the white and black Macbook models and came to the resounding conclusion that I DO NOT like the Black Macbook. The Black display model had all of the 'faults' (besides the f10 key and trackpad button) that I mentioned in my initial post - the keys were shiny, fingerprints and dirt marks were easily visible and the keys felt very shallow and not as responsive as the white model. The last thing I want to point out is that in the sea of display laptops (PCs and Macs) at John Lewis, I would not say that the Black Macbook stood out from the rest of the laptops unlike the White Model. I think the reason for that is because the Black Model; even with all its black, matte sleekness, the look of it reminds me too much of PC laptops - exactly what I didn't want!

Of course keep in mind that this is just my personal preference and I'm sure that there are some that will swear by the Black Model. My best advice to any potential buyers is that you do what I should've done initally - go to a shop/place where you can see 'live' models of both the White and Black Macbooks in person so that you can decide for yourself which one you prefer.

p.s Sorry, I thought I had initially posted this thread in the iBook/Macbook Forum. Is it possible for a mod to move this thread to that section please.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
p.s Sorry, I thought I had initially posted this thread in the iBook/Macbook Forum. Is it possible for a mod to move this thread to that section please.

Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm glad that you sorted - I'm more impressed that you gave the refurb another shot.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm glad that you sorted - I'm more impressed that you gave the refurb another shot.

Hahaha, my girlfriend isn't. She knows how 'cheap' I can be! Nah seriously, I just had faith in Apple and I've heard such great reviews about the refurbs - I don't think my luck could be THAT bad! Also, most of the problems I encountered were only from the black model rather than the white so.....

Anyway, I'm so happy that I've got it now. I'm a perfectionist (which I hate but it seems to be my nature) and I always nitpick over stuff. Great thing is, this Macbook is perfect! ish. Being me, there's just a few things that annoy/worry me. But whilst I'm here I might as well mention them:

1) Front Row: is it generally laggy for everyone? Sometimes it runs along at lightning speed but other times it takes up to 10-15seconds to load up the Now Playing screen for Music!

2) The Lid feels a bit loose i.e. when i've got the macbook closed, I can actually slide the lid back and forth the tiniest bit - I'm just worried that it might affect the display somehow....

3) My Macbook doesn't seem to have a flat base! There's just one corner that never seems to be flat on the table!

I know these must be such small problems compared to what could go wrong with it but it'd be nice to get some reassurance..... On the other hand, if I am being a nitpicky idiot please say so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.