Fingerprint Scanner for OSx

Reaction score
I'm slowly replacing the computers in my house with Macs. The Family computer has a fingerprint scanner for login. This way I can make sure each kid is using her own profile (yea, i know they can log in for each other but...). I'm the only one that knows the passwords.

I can't seem to find a fingerprint reader that works on the Mac any ideas?

OP
D
Reaction score
Those are both SDKs. If I were a programmer I might give it a try but with my skills i'd be hard pressed to get "hello world" out of beta much less develop a fingerprint program.

Thanks.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I'm slowly replacing the computers in my house with Macs. The Family computer has a fingerprint scanner for login. This way I can make sure each kid is using her own profile (yea, i know they can log in for each other but...). I'm the only one that knows the passwords.

:eek:

That sorta sounds a bit over the top!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
:eek:

That sorta sounds a bit over the top!

Amen-Moses
I concur. While I agree with the making of separate accounts for children to limit access to things, fingerprint scanning is a bit extreme. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I concur. While I agree with the making of separate accounts for children to limit access to things, fingerprint scanning is a bit extreme. :black:

Nahh...heck, when my kids want to use the computer, I'll have them submit a blood sample for DNA testing. And they'll have to pass a drug screening, too!

OP
D
Reaction score
Actually the fingerprint scanner has worked very well. i don't have to worry about passwords (forgotten or reset or...) nor do I have to worry so much about child A being on Child Bs profile and overwriting her ITunes or changing her IM or losing her favorites, changing backgrounds etc etc... Then, I'd have to fix the problems or hear the arguing etc..

It's more a matter of making my life easier rather than enforcing my will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I like the idea of a fingerprint reader.. I'm logged on, say the gf wants to use it. she places her thumb on the scanner, logs me out, and her automatically. I don't think of it so much as a security feature, but more of an "ease of use" thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Nahh...heck, when my kids want to use the computer, I'll have them submit a blood sample for DNA testing. And they'll have to pass a drug screening, too!

HEHE, i like youre thinking :)

The finger scanner seems to be a good idea, but what about the security risks of your fingerprints being on a computer which is online, for example say a mac virus got out so would your fingerprints

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.