HELP!!! please

Reaction score
hi...just joined the forum so am not sure if i am in the correct place!...

i need help with my powerbookG4. firstly, my G4 will just freeze and the only solution is to switch off and then back on. without any warning i get the blackened screen saying i must re-start the mac so i have to go through the above process. also, when online, it locks up again but this time i get a blackend out section saying attempting to connect to remote de-bugger??? and it never does!!

anyway....i would be very very gratfull if someone has any ideas on what i should do or if i should post this on another page.

many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I would restore OSX, looks like something is wrong here with the installation files / boot up

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
ok....how do you do that?? i have no discs?? thanks

You will need to get the discs from somewhere, if you know someone who has a similar spec PowerBook you could borrow theirs but legally you should have the discs for your own machine.

Did you buy it without discs or have you just lost them?

If the machine is dated before Tiger came out then it probably came with Panther installed so your best bet would be to buy a legitimate copy of Tiger.

It could also be bad RAM or a dodgy harddrive. If you are near an Applestore you could always take it to the genius bar and ask them to check it for you.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Before getting too crazy about this, download OnyX and run the complete set of clean up and maintenance scripts and then try again. Get OnyX at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Also, you may wish to check that you have enough free space on your hard drive. Highlight the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop, CTL-click it and select Get Info from the resulting menu. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of space left. If not, a little spring cleaning may be in order.

There are two excellent apps for showing where all of your hard disk space has gone, Disk Inventory X and WhatSize. Get them at:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

Both do a great job at letting you zero in on your largest disk space consumers, so that you can hunt down any rogue files.

Do the OnyX thing first, then restart and try out one or both of the above tools. By the way, all three are freeware!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Try mac57's idea before restoring mac

Reaction score
Definitely think it would be better to run all the onyX routines before reinstalling the system. What a pain.

Good luck, man.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4
Wow, glad I popped in here before I reformatted my dwindling HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.