• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD+Handbrake=mpeg4.....then what?

Reaction score
Greetings
I hope the title explains it somewhat. I have a mpeg4 on my desktop smirking at me. It was ripped from a DVD and now it needs editing. Where do I go from here please? I am using a 17" iMac with a modest 512 Mb RAM. Usual software onboard, but I can't find a utility to allow me to edit. With iDVD for instance, the file is greyed out. Any advice - well, good advice - welcome. Cheers Mitcherooney

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm not much into video editting (just started actualyl), but I beleive you'll need somethign like Final Cut Express to do editting.

What kind of editting do you want to do?

Reaction score
If you get quicktime pro ($30, well worth it) you can open the file, and do basic edits, and (or) export it as a .mov file to use in iMovie, iDVD, Final Cut or DVD studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I do video editing in iMovie HD myself. If the source is DVD, I'll usually rip it to a vob(s) first, then convert it to a dv stream and import into iMovie for editing so I'm working with the highest quality. When finished, I use iMovie to export/compress to a format of my choice (usually mpeg-4).

I rarely do editing from DVD's though. Most of it is done from AVI files created by my Digital Camera movies so I put those directly into iMovie for editing (and adding titles, transitions, etc.), then export to mpeg-4 files for iTunes/iPod and web streaming.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
I'm not much into video editting (just started actualyl), but I beleive you'll need somethign like Final Cut Express to do editting.

What kind of editting do you want to do?

Essentially it's to get rid of adverts etc from a TV movie. I'd also like to add a few personal touches... Delusions of grandeur - I'll be up there with Mr Spielberg before long.....

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
If you get quicktime pro ($30, well worth it) you can open the file, and do basic edits, and (or) export it as a .mov file to use in iMovie, iDVD, Final Cut or DVD studio.

I woukd like to stick with the progs on board the machine if I can.....

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
I do video editing in iMovie HD myself. If the source is DVD, I'll usually rip it to a vob(s) first, then convert it to a dv stream and import into iMovie for editing so I'm working with the highest quality. When finished, I use iMovie to export/compress to a format of my choice (usually mpeg-4).

I rarely do editing from DVD's though. Most of it is done from AVI files created by my Digital Camera movies so I put those directly into iMovie for editing (and adding titles, transitions, etc.), then export to mpeg-4 files for iTunes/iPod and web streaming.

Yes, I understand about the avi route from a dv camera, but I have a movie recorded from the one-eyed monster in the living room and I want to remove clutter - ads, etc

The video TS file contains the vob files - how do you convert them to dv stream for editing in iMovie? Thanks M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I woukd like to stick with the progs on board the machine if I can.....

I don't think you can. QT Pro simply unlocks the full capabilities of the QT you have on your machine already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yes, I understand about the avi route from a dv camera, but I have a movie recorded from the one-eyed monster in the living room and I want to remove clutter - ads, etc

The video TS file contains the vob files - how do you convert them to dv stream for editing in iMovie? Thanks M

Not sure how you convert vob to dv with only the software pre-installed on your mac. I personally use VisualHub. A free alternative would be MPEG Streamclip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Not sure how you convert vob to dv with only the software pre-installed on your mac. I personally use VisualHub. A free alternative would be MPEG Streamclip.

yeah, i was going to suggest using visualhub to convert it to a .mov file or something else... its been a while since i got it, but i think its only like 20 dollars or something? You might want to check it out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.