Best Linux ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I want to install some version of linux on my friends G3 Clamshell laptop because i had so much trouble trying to install Osx panther, so im opt'in for the Linux route. I have never played around or used any Linux for macs before, so can anyone tell me the best version to use. One that looks good, but will run stable on 386Mb of ram. hes only using the laptop for internet use

Reaction score
I know Gentoo has PPC support. But it's pretty painful to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Alot of people swear by Ubuntu

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What problems did you have installing Panther on that G3? I have panther on my G3 333Mhz iMac with 256Megs RAM and had no problems at all.

For that machine Ubuntu would be the best Linux distro at least that I have messed with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I had problems getting Gentoo on my G3. It took much more work than any other version of Linux that I have ever installed. For some reason, I kept having problems getting the boot configuration matched with that of the G3. It was a pain in the *butt*.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Alot of people swear by Ubuntu

i am one of them!!!
as dtravis7 said panther should be easy to install with no problems
-chris

Reaction score
Reaction score
Unless you are a very experienced Linux I would not recommend Gentoo. You might try either Ubuntu or Yellow Dog Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Another vote for Ubuntu here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suse is also very good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a Suse PPC

Reaction score
Will Suse install on a Mac?

Ubuntu is user-friendlier, though. Easier to install and has more of a "Just works" effect.

I didn't know it was PPC compatible! I'm getting a gumdrop iMac soon, and might try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ubuntu does have a PPC load. I tried it on my G5, but it doesn't support a lot of the hardware, and in particular the fan controllers, so it was a no-go.

There are a limited number of Linux distros that will run on PPCs, and I would guess that Ubuntu is the best of them. Last time I looked, Yellow Dog was behind the times, and support was bad (want to see a bad forum? go check out their G5 support forum - yuck!). Gentoo is likely higher effort than you want. SuSE would be an excellent choice if they have PPC support.

Finally, and please no wars here, remember that there is Ubuntu, which is Gnome based, and Kubuntu, which is KDE based. There is also Xubuntu, which is XFCE based. Pick the desktop environment that you like best and try to get the PPC version for that. Personally, I have a Ubuntu/Xubuntu combo loaded on my PC and have been very happy with it.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I had Ubuntu installed as the sole OS on my G4 iBook for over a year and it was fine with everything except the wireless card. They may have fixed that by now though.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.