Quicktime and AVI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83/1.5gRam/120gHD
I have a few files (from my windows machine) that are probably encoded (by the author) with a DIVX codec, but since on the windows side, I have lost track of how many different codec packs I have applied I am not sure.

Having a new mac-mini, I'd kind of like to keep the number of installed programs to a minimum. With the simplicity of the machine, I am going to try a minimalist approach instead of junking it up.

Here's the question and thanks for haning in there with me....when I open the file with Quicktime, it takes me to a page with a ton of codec packs that are upgrade for a price or free (with a trial of the pro for 6 months) like DIVX.

What is the video player that I can use that will have the widest range of file playablity/compatibility. Is is quciktime with codec packs or should I try something else.

Thanks - D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had heard about VLC

Thanks for the suggestions....

Am I being silly with my minimalist approach? Or does it not really matter becuase of the simple uninstall of MAC vs. WIN?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people prefer keeping there machines completly clean and organised, some people just chuck things on and off as and when they feel like it!

Each to their own in the end!

Mac has a very good install/uninstall system so if you dont like an app its easy to get rid off!

Give VLC a go, i woulda thought that should play it :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks for the suggestions....

Am I being silly with my minimalist approach? Or does it not really matter becuase of the simple uninstall of MAC vs. WIN?

You shouldn't need to download any drivers for VLC or mplayer... they "just work"...

You may also want to install (or check out) Flip4Mac...

http://www.flip4mac.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
You're not being silly at all, I prefer not to have random apps laying around that I don't need too. My PC is covered in all kinds of rubbish as I just didn't care before, that was a lesson to me and I don't wish to repeat it on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You're not being silly at all, I prefer not to have random apps laying around that I don't need too. My PC is covered in all kinds of rubbish as I just didn't care before, that was a lesson to me and I don't wish to repeat it on my Mac.

I install a lot of apps... then once in a while, when I get the urge, I go through my Apps folder and get rid of everything I have not used or won't be using... To do this I use CleanApp (yes... another App :D )

Link: CleanApp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ride added a good point about http://www.flip4mac.com/ (Flip 4 mac)

It allows you to play WMV files etc on your mac. Very helpful if you find some sites dont allow video to be played etc.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I install a lot of apps... then once in a while, when I get the urge, I go through my Apps folder and get rid of everything I have not used or won't be using... To do this I use CleanApp (yes... another App :D )

Link: CleanApp

It's strange, I should have been more worried about how much I'm installing on the PC, not the other way round, but it's too late now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can also install codecs so that you only need QuickTime to play all of your files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends what codecs are involved. As far as im aware flip4mac only plays basic WMV files etc it doesnt deal with strange codecs.

Best bet (imo) is to install VLC and Flip4mac, you shouldnt need anything else past that :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
i have flip4mac only and it plays avi files. i think ill dl vlc too just incase

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VLC did the trick

Played the 4 avi files that I was having problems with....seems lite-weight so I am sold.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.