Can I Use a Bootcamp Partition w/ Parallels?

Reaction score
Is there anyway that Parallels can run a bootcamp partition that will run windows exactly as you have left it when booting into windows via bootcamp and vice versa? I thought I remember reading that you could do this with a new version of parallels somewhere on the parallel's website but perhaps I am mistaken. I am wondering because although parallels is fine if running off AC power, if I need to use windows when I am running on battery alone, parallels is not really the best solution as it uses way more system resources than running just 1 OS at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Short answer is NO. Bootcamp and Parallels use completely different methods to access Windows partitions.

Reaction score
If you are referring to if you are able to run Parallels in OSX off your Boot Camp partition then yes, it is possible. It's the way I have set mine up.

I don't have to install different things, in Boot Camp and again through Parallels...Whatever I install through Boot Camp shows in Parallels vise versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Hi nomios (or anyone else),

I just got my first laptop and first mac today (longtime windows user). I want to run XP like you have described (boot camp and parallels). I've done some googling and haven't been able to find out how to setup boot camp and parallels like you've said. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Kevin

Reaction score
I have installed Vista using BootCamp on a different partition - dual boot

Now I would like to install XP using parallels.

I seem to have installed parallels ok but when I start parallels I get a black screen saying insert windows cd and restart and it wont let me shut it down (eh I did) -

I would like to use Vista on dual boot and parallels on xp

Anyone knows how to do this ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz Core 2duo 4gb RAM
Yeah, I'm trying to do this as well. I wanna attach parallels to my ready-made windows partition without creating a new partition on an already full harddrive haha.

I just wanna run certain programs when I'm on the OSX side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.