Questions re: footprint size & instant recovery

Reaction score
If I have for example a 250GB hdd - how much of that is taken up by a default install of Tiger ?

Does Mac use instant recovery software? In Windows a comparison software would be something like First Defence ISR, enabling a functional reproduction/ snapshot of the system residing on C:\ .

On a basic level, this snapshot may then be booted into, played with, used for experimenting etc. and then when no longer required, deleted.

This question was prompted by the Beginner's guide to navigating the Terminal thread. Got me wondering if I could create a Tiger snapshot - allowing for experimenting with Terminal commands at no risk to the original/base instillation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Mac OSX generally takes around 4GB
also you will not have 250GB HDD more lyk 243 - 249 as that is based on its capactity before it is formatted

hope this helps

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks mikeyman

That's great, the footprint is very manageable.

Any knowledge of the other aspect - instant recovery? I see that 'Leopard' has something called 'Time Machine' which offers incremental imaging.

It looks great and worth it's weight in gold I'm sure, but it isn't quite the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I believe that time machine requires a 2nd HDD to create its backups

OP
C
Reaction score
That's fine mikeyman - I'm used to using external drives to archive back-ups and data.

I probably need to wait until I've actually got my hands on a machine before chasing too much of this around. I'm not really sure how the whole idea of test boxes etc play in the Apple universe - I can see it could fly against the whole 'It just works' message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.