• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Crashing computer

Reaction score
My computer, now two months old, has just crashed for the first time. iTunes was not responding, and when I went to force quit, it would not. I opened the task monitor and tried from there but to no avail. Finaly, I closed the lid to the laptop to put it to sleep. When I reopened it the screen was dark and the light on the edge was out. It took more than five minutes of me pressing the power button and other various keys to get it to restart. Any ideas how this happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
macs crash too!
not as offten as windows, but there still computers right?
a driver or something posibly crashed which would cause your system to stop responding. I sometimes get this if i put it a scratched cd when copying it to itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note: Dont shut lid if computer starts to become unstable, it makes it go through more processes such as sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesnt make the problem any easier, i have shut the lid on many occations when my mac has become unstable thanks to itunes and once a scratched dvd in front row. Sometimes it makes it hard 2 wake up from"sleep" mode. Its best to let it do its thing and about 5 mins later it will automatically correct itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And no it isnt bad to shut the lid, otherwise that function wouldnt be there.
Just dont do it if something is about to crash, no matter how bad the situation seems you will just be making it worse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.