• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How are you setup?

Reaction score
Just got my first laptop, and I am still trying to figure out the accessories to buy for it. I am living in a dorm room, so I do not have much space, and no comfy chairs. I try not to keep my laptop on my bed due to cooling. I know I want a mouse, and am thinking wireless or BT, but dont know the difference. How comfortable it is in my hand is also a concern. Further, I have heard the scroll beads stop working after a month or two.
I am also trying to decide on whether to buy a keyboard. I dont know where I would use this, but typing on the laptop is a bit uncomfortable. Any suggestions?
Lastly, if I want to lounge and use my laptop, are there any options to keeping it on my lap/bed without it overheating?

Most importantly of all:
How do you set yourself up?

Reaction score
I bought the Logitech mouse/keyboard combo, and have really liked it. I also use a second screen though, so that may make a difference.

I have a MacBook Pro by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I'm just using my Macbook on a small desk. I went out and bought a comfy chair, because I find myself spending inordinate amounts of time on my Mac. As for the keyboard mouse issue, I'm definitely going to have to get a mouse, because I just can't stand trackpads anyway. But the keyboard is fine, to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I thought that I was going to want to use a keyboard, too, but I don't want one now. I am quite happy with the keyboard on my MacBook Pro, and the trackpad is great when I'm running OS X, because OS X has an "ignore accidental input" feature, but under Windows I have a tendency to bump the trackpad. The only real reason I want a mouse is for games.

As far as limited space, I understand your situation completely. I bought my MacBook Pro for use on a ship, so I rarely have more space available to me than that which I am occupying in my chair. I recommend getting a lap desk of sorts. There are several that have a swing-out that allows the use of a mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I just can't get a comfortable feel from those MightyMice, I guess that I really prefer to feel the contours and edges of the buttons that I press.

T

todd51

Throughout most of the day my MBP sits on my desk with the screen saver on when I'm not using it. I bought a cheap optical Logitech mouse to use for when it's on a desk.

For times like these (I'm in bed) I am perfectly comfortable with the trackpad. It's overheating so I wouldn't worry about that. The way I am sitting anyways there is space underneath of it so it'll get air. I wouldn't worry about it overheating when having it in your lap. The fans are meant to kick on if it gets too hot. I usually only surf the internet and listen to music when I'm not on a desk so it's not like I'm doing excessive work anyways.

I do recommend a small comfortable mouse for when it's sitting on the desk in your dorm room though. I used the trackpad for about 2 months before I finally switched to a USB mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I just use the trackpack and keyboard in my macbook and do not use any external devices. Mainly because i dont play any games, if i did i would get an apple mighty mouse, but then i would have the desktop if i was going to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
macbook, lap desk, no mouse, occasional ext hard drive mounted.

382492314_a16ed4528c.jpg

382492312_9f3aa55861.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That is beautiful Eric. Where did you get that Lap Desk?? Link???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
That is beautiful Eric. Where did you get that Lap Desk?? Link???

yeah seriously... did you build that? if not it had to be pretty expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I have my PowerBook and Cube on my desk (Cube in corner, PB on the straight desk).

I sometimes take my PowerBook around the house, in the lounge, kitchen or bed and wirelessly access my iTunes library from my Cube.

Here's a pic of my latest setup:
http://flickr.com/photos/20262161@N00/388581056/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Keyboard would be a waste of money if you can't think where you'd use it.

My setup is just the MacBook and my Apple Bluetooth Mouse (Not the mighty Mouse)

I love the bluetooth mouse and highly recommend it. Also I have to say that I don't think the problem with the Mighty Mouse roller Balls is such an issue as I see these things hooked up to iMacs in places like PC World all the time - they are obviously well used by many many hands and they still seem fine when I come along to have a play.

The Bluetooth mouse I have is pretty neat but I do keep going to use the roller ball which was not available on the mouse I own - so maybe I'll be looking for a bluetooth mighty mouse in the future.

Wireless or Bluetooth?

Bluetooth Mice & Keyboards are work with your Macs inbuilt Bluetooth - using Wireless accesories which are much cheaper to purchase require a sender/receiver unit - this is not a problem - but it is one more thing to carry around - one more USB port in use and one more thing to loose when you're on the move.

However - that said - I have a wireless mouse on my PC and it cost me about £7 including postage and it's been pretty good - even fine for playing games - so if you don't mind having something hooked up to one of your USB ports (this is not really a big issue for most people) then you can buy something quite usable for under £20 - a figure you may not be so bothered about should you loose the mouse or receiver when on the move :)

Official Mouse Thread <- might give you more ideas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.