MacBook Questions

Reaction score
I just purchased a new laptop, and I am a switcher. I have had a few questions, so I figured what a better place to ask them than here.

I have a big music collection, and importing seems rather slow. The computer advertizes having a drive that is 24x, but it usualy imports at about 6x-15x. Is this normal or should I check it out?

At times the touchpad seems unresponsive. I will have to drag my finger rapidly across the pad several times to get the mouse to move.

When typing in Word, I sometimes will type two or three words before they appear on the screen. I have never experienced this before and do not know what to think about it.

When I right-click on my wireless icon, it can take up to 20 seconds for the menu to pop up. No big deal, just a little annoying.

And finaly, itunes sometimes will not respond when I click on the play/pause or the next button. Keyboard shortcuts also fail.

Thats the list for now, thanks in advance to everyone who helps out this eager mac learner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8
likwise ^^

I got my macbook three days ago and have been disappointed with some similar points.

My airport icon at the top also takes a moment to pop up once i click it, not massively annoying , but still noticable.

My words also take a fraction of a second to appear on the screen after typing. Its a very short amount of times, but its no where near instant as it is on my windows pc.

I'm also havng the same thing on the touchpad. Every now and again the mouse will freeze, and i have to shake my finger over the pad from left and right extremes to free it up again.

I've only had the macbook for three days and its a bit disconcerting that someone else is having these issues aswell.

Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
im a future mbp owner and when playing with the mbp in the store i noticed the same issue regarding the touchpad, and it was kinda annoying. having read the forum for about a week or so i think the problem might be the touchpad is set to ignore accidental touches or something along those lines...

hopefully someone with more experince can jump in and help out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Are you running any progs than use a lot of cpu power such as itunes or a cd burner, also how much ram do u have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
24x is how fast it is reading, but importing also requires conversion which slows the process down. If you were to import into straight AIFF you would get closer to the 24x rating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
The word thing is because word 2004 was written for Power PC macs, and we use Intel CPUs now. Office 2007 will be native Intel.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
When I right-click on my wireless icon, it can take up to 20 seconds for the menu to pop up. No big deal, just a little annoying.

I'll attempt this one.

When you right click on the icon I believe that it scans for all available wireless points to add to the list and must also communicate with them to get their attributes.

Depending on how many are in range and/or how fast they respond to information requests will affect how fast this happens.

I've noticed it is instant when only my wireless is detected (a stand alone Belkin wireless router) but takes a few seconds or more if my neighbours wireless is detected (which is probably a cheap wireless modem provided by his ISP).

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Sounds like you may need a ram upgrade

OP
A
Reaction score
I do not think need a ram upgrade. The programs I use are iTunes, Safari, Stickies and Word. I am currently running off of 1GB of DDR2.

Any other ideas about iTunes unresponsiveness or the touchpad on the keyboard? Is there some kind of accidental touch thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Go to your System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, then Trackpad. Near the bottom are trackpad options. Check to see whether "Ignore accidental trackpad input" is selected or not.

I believe the rest of your questions were answered. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.