Problems with Thunderbird Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Hello, I have a situation with Thunderbird. I don't know it I have it configured correctly. I can receive mail but I cannot send. I get the following error:
Error
This message could not be delivered and will remain
in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

The connection to server "smtp.mac.com" on
port 25 timed out

What can I do to fix this. It seems that I cannot send any email from my Thunderbird mail. I have a .mac account, do you think it may be configured incorrectly? Please advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
It probably needs a password, most probably your .mac password.

I haven't used Thunderbird in awhile since switching, since Apple's Mail works just as well, but even Mail requires a password for the smtp server, to prevent spam relays from using the server to uh, spam.

In my case my ISP provider is Verizon so I enter my verizon ID and password in the Accounts preferences. You will probably need to do similarly for your .mac account to use smtp.mac.com to be able to send mail. I forget where that is, but it's in one of the account preferences. You should be able to enter it once, and then Thunderbird will store it so that later you don't need to enter it every time you send an email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/forums

submit your query here :)
hope it gets resolved
I myself also use thunderbird with the webmail extension, you could also try to change the port numbers standard is port 25 i changed mine and it fixed my email problem

Hope this helps

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the information, I was just wondering. Where do I look in Thunderbird for Preferences. I'll also check the Thunderbird forum thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tool, extensions, preferences
sorry i didnt make this clear to start of with...

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You said you change your port from 25 to another number? is that correct if so what number? Thanks for the information.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who is your ISP? I have had issues using SBC AT&T (whatever it's now called) and smtp.mac.com. I had to use the SBC SMTP server instead which is smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use port 1025

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have SBC Global, but I also have a .mac account. Do I have to use the SBC SMPT server instead of the .mac? Under preferenced I checked the SSL box is that okay?

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to change it to smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and it did not work. I guess I can try smtp.apple.com and see what happens.

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, it worked!!! I changed smtp to smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and unchecked SSL and it worked. Thanks for the information everyone. dtravis 7 thanks for the info I still don't understand why exactly I had to use smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com instead of the mac one. thanks for the information

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will explain this as best I can. For security reasons for Spam, some ISP's will not let you cross send to other SMTP servers. So using their own SMTP server to send email works but others sometimes do not. Glad you got it working. No, SBC does not use SSL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My ISP isn't as restrictive as some others, but I've noticed that email tends to send slower using other SMTP servers whereas it's lightning fast with my ISP's SMTP server. I know the logistics of why, so I just use my ISP as I prefer the speed :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.