• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Simple question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
What does the "i" stand for in the Apple hardware and software such as imac, ipod, iwork, etc.? Just wondering :D

M

MacHeadCase

When it initially came out, the original Bondi Blue iMac, stood for internetMac because it was so easy to connect. So I dunno they kept the i and added it to the iPod, iWork, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
maybe now it stands for innovative, because everything apple comes out with is innovative.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
maybe now it stands for innovative, because everything apple comes out with is innovative.

Thanks, I like the "innovative" idea because it sure is! I did wonder if it was internet as MHC said, but if so, it has evolved to everything else. Oh well...like I said, just wondering.

M

MacHeadCase

Internet mutating to innovative for the iApps and iMac would absolutely make sense. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
its i pod because its part of you; it's personal.

I agree, my ipod is like a part of my body like my arm i will never be seen without it

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, you all are innovative too! I like the "i" having a personal meaning because as Mikeyman has noted, our "i's" have so much to do with a large percent of our lives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MPB - Base Model
Wasn't "iPod" going to be some internet kiosk that Apple decided not to release, then they dumped the name on their MP3 player?

I remember reading this somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 'i' comes from the original iMac, which was marketed as a computer that was really easy to get onto the internet with and was abbreviated from 'Internet Macintosh'.

Same with the iBook. The 'i' thing has clicked with pop culture and apple put it on the iPod basically just to take advantage of the brand recognition associated with the 'i'. I seem to remember that the Pod part is just a reference to the fact that it is a pod, or 'personal online downloader' as some believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
It stands for all three or the ideas mentioned in this thread, innovative, internet, and because it's part of you. That sounds about right eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Wasn't "iPod" going to be some internet kiosk that Apple decided not to release, then they dumped the name on their MP3 player?

I remember reading this somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

100% true. I did a sales demonstration on iPod's for my DECA at my school... and I researched the background of iPods. Crazy aint it? They weren't even planning on making an iPod... the design almost became some other companies, I cant quite remember who's... but like sony or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X VERSION 10.4.9 450 MHz PowerPC G4 768 MB SDRAM
i have no idea i have been wondering for a while =/

Reaction score
I used to use my HTC TyTN as a modem for internet connection. But since I upgraded my HTC from WM5.0 to WM6.0 I have failed to use the phone as a modem. It keeps on giving me "could not open communication device" error. WM6.0 has new option 'internet sharing' which I really do not know how to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I think it was just the trend when the "i" stuff just came out, because everything at the time was i-something...I noticed that at the time because I was a writer at a PR firm that dealt exclusively with high-tech clients, and all their products (and names!) were "i"-something...and an acquaintance of mine who designed e-mercials for a living...HIS clients were all "i-"something! I thought there was going to be a gradual slide to "m"-whatever around 2001, because that's when mobile technology really started to take off...because a lot of our clients started using "m"-something, and AT&T did that short-lived "m-Life" thing (my wife worked at AT&T at the time and even SHE didn't know what the heck it was!)...but "m-" didn't last very long...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.