• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For anyone interested in GSCE Revision software

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
... probably noone but anyhow.

I picked up a bargain in PC World today, 6 GCSE revision CDs for half price.

When I got home I found out that they didn't work on Vista (no real surprise there) and were rather flakey on XP so I took a look at how they were put together and found out that 5 out of the 6 were purely shockwave driven.

So what you say, well with a little work I managed to get those 5 working flawlessly on my Mac!

The only thing stopping them working straight off the CD was a combination of uppercase naming conventions (in unix based systems the filenames are case sensitive) and the use of the backslash in paths.

The only one I couldn't convert was the German Language one (I assume all other language ones would be the same) as it is all executables rather than shockwave.

If anyone needs this sort of stuff and can't get hold of Mac specific versions I'm willing to explain how to do this conversion.

The programs in question are by GSP and are titled:

Letts GSCE Biology (2005/2006 exams)
Letts GSCE Physics (2006/2007 exams)
Letts GSCE Chemistryy (2006/2007 exams)
Letts GSCE English (2006/2007 exams)
Letts GSCE Maths (2006/2007 exams)

Others in the range would probably also be easy to convert once you know how (it is reasonably easy but you will need to tell me how simple you need the instructions to be!), the way to tell is to look on the back of the CD case to see if it says "FLASH Enabled" down in the System requirements section.

Obviously I can't publish the method as once you have it the software can be run directly from the hard drive so you will need to convince me you have the CDs first and then I can email you the details.

If you are wondering why I bothered, my daughter has an iBook and the revision software was for her.

For anyone who is wondering what the .... I'm on about, GCSE is the examination standard for the end of High School here in the UK.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.