• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

i used to like this guy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
its been posted. but yeah, not cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
he is a very funny guy but has come down in my estimation

after i read this http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html

So you decided to dislike him because he attacked something you like?

Whether you agree or not, the point is CB is a good writer and has the ability to make you smile about the most unimportant of subjects... like your preference of computer.

BTW, the best part of that article were the responses, including Charlie Brooker himself complaining about how his sub had changed the article slightly... on a Mac! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
LOL. Never heard of the guy, but I enjoy his humor. :)

And I have to agree with part of the last paragraph:

Ultimately the campaign's biggest flaw is that it perpetuates the notion that consumers somehow "define themselves" with the technology they choose. If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that "says something" about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality...

Seriously, if you think that what you buy says anything more about you than what your needs and preferences are, you do deserve to be mocked unmercifully.

Obviously, I don't feel the same way about Macs (I doubt even the author does) as is expounded in the article, but you have to admit it isn't that much more over the top than Apple's ad campaign is. And at least it's pretty funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I think he picked this article to write about, because he had to respond to the public interest. And, right now, Macs are getting a very good exposure by those ads and raising public awareness. So, I think it is also causing some resentment by PC users. I know some PC users and all they can say is that they hate Macs. But, when you ask why, they don't have a good answer. As a PC and Mac user, I can say that Macs are superior machines, are more fun and straight forward. I can say the same about Mac users. And, yes, we also have a very good sense of humor.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Seriously, if you think that what you buy says anything more about you than what your needs and preferences are, you do deserve to be mocked unmercifully.

I disagree.

your preferences and needs are a pretty large part of you. should owning a mac be the sole qualifier to what kind of person you are? of course not. but things like where you shop, what you drive, what you compute on, where you decided to buy a home, as well as a thousand smaller choices can certainly tell people a little about you. it's more about your choices being defined by who you are than your choices defining who you are.

i'm guessing that if you saw a Toyota Prius with an apple sticker in the window, an 01.20.09 bumper sticker on the bumper, a copy of Parents and a rear-facing car seat in the back, you could probably make a few semi-safe assumptions about the person who owned the car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, that was pretty harsh, but not much worse than the PC-bashing Mac commercials.

Every time I see those commercials or a Macworld keynote, I think back to 1997 when Microsoft basically bailed out Apple, Internet Explorer was installed on Macs, and Steve Jobs himself praised Microsoft and said the whole idea of Mac vs. PC competition was over as far as he was concerned.

I tend to see what he sees in the pretentious attitude that is given off in Mac advertising, but he couldn't be more wrong about the product itself.

Best Response to the article:

PCs are for the leather and latex S&M crowd -- those who love a machine that is painfully difficult to use, necrophiles who are thrilled by the blue screen of death, daredevils who feel like James Bond because their computer is filled with spyware and Evil Kenevil wannabes who love the sight of a good crash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.