• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Zune Phone - out before iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Crunch Gear has an interesting story - Can it be true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
well if it happens, im sure it will fail :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Yikes. If it were to hit the streets before the iPhone, it would be quite a coup for microsoft. I think the iPhone would outsell a Zune phone. But it'd be pretty hard for everyone to accuse MS of copying Apple if they beat them to market.

But then again, I certainly wouldn't want to have a rev a of either device. And since I just started a two year contract with Verizon, and wouldn't switch back to Cingular/ATT if they paid me, neither is in my imidiate future. Should be an interesting spring though for gadget freaks. :)

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
:)

Some quotes:

The first real news is that we can expect to hear an announcement from Redmond about the it before March 17, St. Patrick’s Day, at which time we should learn the name of the device. At the same time, we should also learn other launch specifics, and here’s where it gets incredibly juicy; our source says that, pending FCC approval, the specter-like Zune Phone will hit the streets sometime in May, a full month before the iPhone.

With the iPhone having been in the rumors stage for almost two years, it makes sense that MS would have started a response as a contingency. Now that iPhone is out, and Redmond knows exactly what it’s up against, it’s an relatively easier process to finish an alternative, and bringing it to the Zune team and its Gen-Y marketing is the icing on the cake.

Of course, much of this is conjecture, but it’s logical. What’s more, our sources have never let us down and are from diverse backgrounds involved with Zune from the get-go. This is a well-thought-out response to iPhone, works perfectly with MSN Live Spaces, as well as Xbox.

I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it - Is this just some ones Dream?

I thought the official reason we heard about the iPhone before it was actually available was because it would go to FCC for approval and the news would be out - the whole FCC thing takes a while right? So is it really likely that an MS product is available for launch so soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it - Is this just some ones Dream? I thought the official reason we heard about the iPhone before it was actually available was because it would go to FCC for approval and the news would be out - the whole FCC thing takes a while right? So is it really likely that an MS product is available for launch so soon?
I don't think so.

Sounds like they just filed for FCC aproval, which Apple just did as well, so I'd think it's doable. And MS already has experience (with the software/OS side at least) with mobile phones for the past few years, and partnerships with a number of manufacturers, so I imagine any device would be manufactured by someone else and have the MS name put on it, much like the Zune. Maybe we'll see something made by Palm or HP or the like.

On killer app it'd be likely to have would be Exchange push email, which would make it more appealing in the business space then the iPhone is likely to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
If they can market that Zune phone so that you're not having to switch providers just to use a phone, then they may be on to something here. As awesome as the iPhone may be, there's probably not a lot of people who are just going to break their phone contracts for a $500.00 nifty gadget. Speaking of which, I wonder what sort of price range they'll introduce the Zune phone at. This could make for some interesting competition...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
This is just great
First microsoft copy apple's desktop effects with aero and they include a spotlight feature of there own.
Now they copy the mobile phone :D

Its like a little kid looking up to its older brother
Why cant they create something cool themselves that revolutionizes the market then someone might copy them

I am going to wait for the Iphone, as i loath microsoft

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
This is just great
First microsoft copy apple's desktop effects with aero and they include a spotlight feature of there own.
Now they copy the mobile phone :D

Why cant they create something cool themselves that revolutionizes the market then someone might copy them

Oh get real. All of those things that MS supposedly "copied" were around long before Apple adopted them. Apple makes great products, but they copy just as much from others as any tech company does. Just because you are unaware of where things originated doesn't mean Apple invented it first. GUI computers that use a mouse, portable computers, laser printers, mp3 players, et al, where on the market before Apple ever shipped their version of them. In many cases, Apple made a much better device or one that was more usable by consumers then what was on the market, but the only thing that Apple was first to market with was a PDA, and they quit selling those.

The idea that an mp3 playing smartphone is an Apple invention is ludicrous. I had a cell phone capable of that four years ago. Apple is coming into the market rather late. It'll probably be a great device, but it's far from being something new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
True, not new but innovative in how it's used. I'm looking forward to seeing how much innovation there is in the Zune phone. And that wasn't sarcasm by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Originally Posted by mikeyman
This is just great
Now they copy the mobile phone

Oh get real. All of those things that MS supposedly "copied" were around long before Apple adopted them. Apple makes great products, but they copy just as much from others as any tech company does. Just because you are unaware of where things originated doesn't mean Apple invented it first. GUI computers that use a mouse, portable computers, laser printers, mp3 players, et al, where on the market before Apple ever shipped their version of them. In many cases, Apple made a much better device or one that was more usable by consumers then what was on the market, but the only thing that Apple was first to market with was a PDA, and they quit selling those.

The idea that an mp3 playing smartphone is an Apple invention is ludicrous. I had a cell phone capable of that four years ago. Apple is coming into the market rather late. It'll probably be a great device, but it's far from being something new.

Actually good point, i guess looking upon it from a different angle apple markets its products correctly. Looks like i have been sucked into apples marketing schemes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.