Second time's the charm.

F

fpgilbert

I bought a blueberry iMac in 2000 w/ OS 9 and let's just say I was underwhelmed.

Fast forward to summer 2006. I walk into my local independent Mac shop and get myself a brand new Mac Mini (Intel). I also get an apple keyboard, mighty mouse, and a 17" apple studio lcd off eBay. NOW we're taklin'! OS X is a pleasure to use and the iLife suite has no peers (especially when it's *included* with OS X).

I'm a part-time PC repair guy but am looking to get into graphic design/multimedia. (There's just something about using a Mac that makes you want to be creative.) I'm just tired of dealing with Windows, even if I'm getting paid for it. I guess I feel that life is too short to spend it on a Microsoft OS.

Anyway, glad to be here and even more glad to have finally found an OS and hardware company that is a pleasure to use.

-Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
welcome!!! they are great machines arent they...the step from os 9 to os x must have been a shock for you!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Welcome to Mac-Forums. Congrats on the new Mini. If you have any questions, you'll find an answer already on the forums, or one of use will be able to help.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Welcome fpgilbert! Make yourself comfy, you'll find plenty of great info in the forum and if ever you need extra info, don't hesitate we're here to help! :girl:

OP
F

fpgilbert

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to learning (and hopefully contributing) a lot on this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" macbookpro - 2.33ghz - 2gb RAM - 120gb hd
(There's just something about using a Mac that makes you want to be creative.)

for me theres something about being creative that makes me want to use a Mac. :)

errr..sorry about the misquote...but really, why would anyone studying design want to use anything but the most well designed computer?

OP
F

fpgilbert

(There's just something about using a Mac that makes you want to be creative.)

for me theres something about being creative that makes me want to use a Mac. :)

errr..sorry about the misquote...but really, why would anyone studying design want to use anything but the most well designed computer?

You are right. I guess my point was that I've been "neglecting" my creative side for far too long and it seems that the Mac platform just kind of inspired me, so to speak, to concentrate less ON the computer and more on what I can do WITH it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i hear you fpgilbert.

i'm in wintel server support. so like you, i'm getting paid to deal with windows. at home i switched about 4 months ago to a macbook. i'm kind of getting tired of dealing with windows too. it just pays so well i'm not sure what else i can do! ;)

welcome aboard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" macbookpro - 2.33ghz - 2gb RAM - 120gb hd
i'm totally with you fpgilbert! i'm not in IT (im really pretty inadequate in that department..) but i am a graphic design/digital media in general student and change is one of my favorite things in life (whether it be city or toothpaste!) and as a long time windows user, switching to Mac and OSX shifts your mindset on how you use a computer. still waiting on my mbp to ship, but i never want to leave the machines i use at school. (other than not being at school...)
cheers to a fellow new convert. and cheers to seattle! one of my cities to visit SOON for sure.

OP
F

fpgilbert

Thanks, guys.

BTW I don't live in Seattle right now. :( I lived there several years ago but am moving back in April and will eventually be taking classes at Seattle Central Comm. Coll. for graphic design or publishing arts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I know exactly how you feel! I'm starting school in the fall for a 3 year Animation course and they deal with 3DsMax/Maya and Final Cut. I'll be able to do anything from CGI work in TV/Films, to 3D animation for video games (what I want in the end).

Everytime I sit at my Mac, or have my PowerBook with me.. I just want to "make" stuff.. I bust out PhotoshopCS2 and just fark around with it and find out what each feature/tool does.

Same with GarageBand/iWeb/iMovie.. I guess iLife '06 lol... Macs are great and really get my brain going. I can't wait to upgrade my G4 to a dual 1.3ghz (2mb L3 per cpu), 2gb ram, and a 256mb 9800 Pro. Unless I can find a G5 for cheaper, I'm sticking with the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
wow, os x must have been a big leap from os 9
i got a blue mac earlier 2day cheaply and it had os 9 and i was lyk *** should be putting osx on it soon

Hope your new mac serves you well :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.