Opening A Movie File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

i have connected my external hardrive, that I used with my PC, to my iMac.
The problem is that there is an MPEG movie on the ext hard drive that I would like to import into IDVD.
When I select this file from the hard drive, it shows the file as an mpg file, with a quicktime "Q" on it, but when I double click it I get the message "The Movie Could Not Be Opened".......can anyone help. I have searched the forum, but cannot see anything that would help me.

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Hi All

i have connected my external hardrive, that I used with my PC, to my iMac.
The problem is that there is an MPEG movie on the ext hard drive that I would like to import into IDVD.
When I select this file from the hard drive, it shows the file as an mpg file, with a quicktime "Q" on it, but when I double click it I get the message "The Movie Could Not Be Opened".......can anyone help. I have searched the forum, but cannot see anything that would help me.

Cheers

Philip

If you want to watch the mpeg I suggest VLC media player It rocks and plays just about everything.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks for that Jonnyfive, but I dont just want to play it, I want to also import it into iDVD...which when I try, It says "unknown format"

Philip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.