Intel Imac 1GB ram or 2BG?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" (3GB DDR2)
Intel Imac 1GB ram or 2GB?

I'm finally ready to become a switcher! My only dilemma is whether or not to upgrade to 2GB of ram when I order my 20" Imac. I'm not planning on running any professional editing programs or anything like that, but I want to have a smooth, seamless time using iLife and all other consumer level products. So what do you guys think?

Reaction score
The standard 1G memory comes in the form of two 512M DIMMs.

So if you want to buy the computer with 1G and "see how it works," you will have to trash the 512M DIMMs and buy two new 1G DIMMs to bring your system up to 2G.

Having said that, Apple tends to charge a pretty steep premium for their memory, so it might be financially worthwhile to see how the machine runs on 1G for your needs and then, if you need it, upgrade RAM down the road.

I'm not sure whether the Mac would be stable with one 512M and one 1G DIMM installed; it used to be a major no-no to mix 'n match memory but I think that has been solved for a long time. Someone more knowledgeable will surely comment.

OP
Poob Bubes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it's going to be your biggest bottleneck. and while 1Gb is fine, there will certainly be times when you'll wish you had 2.

it won't be as bad as if you had a macbook since the graphics memory isn't shared, so if the extra money is a deal breaker, don't worry about it; but if you can swing it, do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I agree with Eric, If you have the cash for it then do so, if not then don't worry as you'll still be fine. Just look at it as a "Luxury Item".

Nice username by the way.

Reaction score
I compared the price of buying 2gb of RAM from Apple to buying it from Crucial the other day; Apple were cheaper.

I agree with eric and moss918: if you can afford to, buy the 2gb, but don't worry about it if not (especially as you're not planning on running anything under Rosetta).

Reaction score
I didn't upgrade my stock 512Mb X 2 when I purchased my iMac C2D and when I finally could afford to upgrade to 1Gb X 2, Apple wanted to charge me $600AUS!

I then bought the RAM from crucial for $275AUS all up.

Then I went to the Apple website and saw that if you upgrade before your order comes off the production line Apple charge only $270AUS for 1Gb X 2.

So it is cheaper to upgrade on the production line if you can afford the extra $$$, which can be difficult on top of the price of the Mac in the first place.

On top of the $278AUS I paid, I also get to keep the 512Mb X 2.

Reaction score
Last night I was dumping DV from a camcorder, installing a program in Parallels, playing a song in iTunes, AND playing a game (some physics motobike thing) all at once, and in 1 gig of RAM. FWIW.

OP
Poob Bubes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I might as well spring for the upgrade. Now I just need to decide whether to purchase my imac from the online apple store or macmall. Macmall also offers a system with the ram upgrade and they have a mail in rebate. Does anyone know if they are a reliable retailer?

Reaction score
I've never done business with them, but MacMall has been around for a zillion years. However, you might want to think twice, it seems they've gone downhill:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/MacMall

Edit: I would buy it locally if at all possible. I had a dead pixel on my 17" iMac, and the local Apple Store took it back and gave me a 20" for just the price of the upgrade (normally they do a restocking fee, since 1 dead pixel isn't considered defective). A computer is just something that I would try to buy locally for the support aspect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Apple might do you a deal if you buy direct
i got a free printer :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 2.16ghz, 2gb, 256MB
Ok, i just got a IMac 20" with 2 GB of ram and it runs perfectly for streaming music, watch videos while surfing the net, etc, i haven't really used ILife yet but two gigs are great, im very happy, however i don't know what having one gig is like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Ok, i just got a IMac 20" with 2 GB of ram and it runs perfectly for streaming music, watch videos while surfing the net, etc, i haven't really used ILife yet but two gigs are great, im very happy, however i don't know what having one gig is like?

I do all that at once today on 512MB of RAM so I'm pretty sure 1GB will do it fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Poob,
I would go with the 2 GB off the production line. It is cheaper to do it that way. Also once you discover how great the Mac is as I did (Switched about 3 weeks ago) you may start doing thing you have never done before and may require so additional resources. There will never be any question in your mind that RAM is the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.