PC Refugee

Reaction score
Hi there all!

I'm considering getting an iMac (20 or 24" version) and I have a few queries I hope you can help me with before I pop into London to the Apple store for a real play with one.

1) I currently have my XP PC set up to output to my LCD monitor and to my TV via component for watching movies. Can I do this on an iMac, or is it VGA/DVI (analogue) output only?
2) I assume if the above is true, I can use Front Row with the supplied remote (?) to watch movies on my TV? And use an optical connection to my amp to get 5.1?
3) Can Front Row play things like DiVX/Xvid/H.264 HD AVI files? Is the DVD drive multi region, and is the apple software region locked? Currently I use Meedio which is a home cinema application which allows me to play DVDs, movie files in different formats, view pictures, play music, get the weather - etc.
4) Does an iMac have a video input - not necessarily for capture, but so that I can use the iMac screen with my PC which I would almost certainly keep in the short term at least.
5) I assume they are completely non-upgradable?
6) Is the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse the best to get, or should I get a 3rd party combo?
7) What's the failure rate of these things like? Forgive me for asking, but if a component goes in my PC I can whip it out and replace it. Where as I assume iMacs have to go back to Apple, or to a local authorised service centre?
8) Now I have a Wii and a 360 I'm not too fussed about PC based gaming. All I use my PC for is viewing media, internet, MSN/ICQ and Office applications. I assume I can use Apple's version of Office which is I hope compatible with Microsoft's in terms of file formats? I would jsut want Excel (spreadsheets), Word (word processing), Powerpoint (slide show presentations) and I use Outlook, but I guess I can use whatever Apple email client is available. As long as I can add contacts and have a calendar I don't mind (although I think the OS has a good calendar built in?).
9) What sort of restrictions are there that you can think of? It seems like a fairly closed world, speaking as someone who can google for any sort of application and get it working on Windows...
10) The hardware doesn't look to have changed much other than Intel chips coming in. Are iMac's going to be either refreshed soon or completely removed from the product line?
11) I guess a lot of you are waiting for the Leopard OS! If I get an iMac with whatever the current one is, would I have to pay for the upgrade? I assume there are no set release dates for it yet?

For anyone who can answer - many thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

cheers,
Dave
/edit - thanks whoever moved this. I didn't see this forum so will have a read.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
1) I currently have my XP PC set up to output to my LCD monitor and to my TV via component for watching movies. Can I do this on an iMac, or is it VGA/DVI (analogue) output only?

*** probably needs an adaptor but probably yes, ask at the store.

2) I assume if the above is true, I can use Front Row with the supplied remote (?) to watch movies on my TV? And use an optical connection to my amp to get 5.1?

*** yes

3) Can Front Row play things like DiVX/Xvid/H.264 HD AVI files? Is the DVD drive multi region, and is the apple software region locked? Currently I use Meedio which is a home cinema application which allows me to play DVDs, movie files in different formats, view pictures, play music, get the weather - etc.

*** Front Row will play anything that Quick Time can play, you may have to get something like VLC for other stuff and that won't work directly from Front Row.

5) I assume they are completely non-upgradable?

*** Apparently you can upgrade the CPU (and hard drive I assume) if you are handy with a tool kit and the RAM is upgradeable. The gfx chips are almost certainly soldered on to the main board though.

6) Is the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse the best to get, or should I get a 3rd party combo?

*** try them out for a while and see how you get on with them, I favour Logitech rodents myself but I haven't tried a Mighty Mouse yet.

7) What's the failure rate of these things like? Forgive me for asking, but if a component goes in my PC I can whip it out and replace it. Where as I assume iMacs have to go back to Apple, or to a local authorised service centre?

*** same as all computers you sometimes get a lemon but I've not heard too many horror stories about the new iMac and my old G4 iMac has never given me any trouble. If it really worries you that much get the Applecare package.

8) Now I have a Wii and a 360 I'm not too fussed about PC based gaming. All I use my PC for is viewing media, internet, MSN/ICQ and Office applications. I assume I can use Apple's version of Office which is I hope compatible with Microsoft's in terms of file formats? I would jsut want Excel (spreadsheets), Word (word processing), Powerpoint (slide show presentations) and I use Outlook, but I guess I can use whatever Apple email client is available. As long as I can add contacts and have a calendar I don't mind (although I think the OS has a good calendar built in?).

*** You have a couple of options here, 1) use Open office or one of its derivatives. 2) if you already have a copy of XP and Office either dual boot or purchase Parallels and install them. Apple doesn't have a "version of office" as such, it is a Microsoft product and whilst very different from the Windows version should be as compatible as any other version of Office with regard to files. (we still run Win2000, Win2003 and XP versions here at work and the only way to make them compatible with each other is to tell them to save in 97/2000 format)

9) What sort of restrictions are there that you can think of? It seems like a fairly closed world, speaking as someone who can google for any sort of application and get it working on Windows...

*** You can, with a little work, use almost anything that Linux has on offer plus with Parallels or Crossover use much of the Windows world as well. In addition there are stacks of Mac specific applications available and quite a healthy open source effort on Macs as well.

10) The hardware doesn't look to have changed much other than Intel chips coming in. Are iMac's going to be either refreshed soon or completely removed from the product line?

*** Nah, the iMac may completely change shape again like it has done on several occasions but it will be around for many years to come.

11) I guess a lot of you are waiting for the Leopard OS! If I get an iMac with whatever the current one is, would I have to pay for the upgrade? I assume there are no set release dates for it yet?

*** Yes, Yes (although it won't be an upgrade, Apple has always sold only one version of the client OS which workls on all machines) and Yes.

Amen-Moses

OP
DB2k
Reaction score
Thanks Amen-Moses - much appreciated!

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Okay, I can't answer all of your questions definitively regarding the video, but I'll take a stab at some that I know:

1 - TV, don't know at least on an iMac. There is most probably an adapter that will allow you to do this.

2. Apple wants your Mac to be the center of your entertainment center, so to speak, so the answer is probably yes. The Macbook has optical audio to allow 5.1 surround, I have to assume that an iMac does as well.

3. Yes. DVD is NOT multi-region, however there are applications (such as VLC) that will ignore region coding to permit viewing of DVD without that pesky artificial limitation.

4. iMacs come with a built-in camera, but as for video input firewire is the standard for digital transfer of video from video cams etc., and iMacs do have that. Let's put it this way: television shows such as Good Eats on FoodTV are filmed on HD and edited with Macs for broadcast. Macs do video very well in the actual industry.

5. iMacs can have the hard drive and memory upgraded by the user. Third party as well, if you wish.

6. I have an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse and like them very much. No problems and they are a pleasure to use. They match as well (not that that's all that important, but it's nice; even though I'm just a software-type geek.)

7. Same as any other piece of technology. Most people are happy and have no problems; out on the internet you're going to find "that guy" who has nothing but problems and will be happy to spread his displeasure to whoever will listen. I had a couple of problems with my Macbook but they were minor and nothing to whine about.

8. Actually Microsoft has a version of Office for the Mac which is completely compatible with the Windows version. You will need that for complete Office compatibility. "Apple's version of office" will kind of not be. But there are also free 'office' products such as Neo Office which work very much like MS Office. For complete compatibility you'll need the Mac version of MS Office, however, and unfortunately there is a price for that. Apple's Mail is quite good, however, and iCal is as well. I use iCal with my Palm device (and iPod) for scheduling and such.

9. It seems like a closed world, but it really isn't. There is a world of software for the Mac. There is a world of software for Windows as well, it's just that a lot of it is...well, crap. For the main things you need to do with a computer there are applications, and quality ones at that for the Mac.

10. The Intel chip was a revolution for the Apple line, and the iMac is not going away anytime soon. They are fantastic machines, people like them, and Apple is selling them as fast as they can make them (<--completely baseless statement.) An iMac of today is going to be useful for a number of years. Besides, this has been true since the mid '80s: if you wait for "the next upgrade" of any computer you will end up never buying one.

11. Yes, we are waiting excitedly for Leopard. We want it to be as good as Apple can make it, so it will be worth the wait. Yes, you will have to pay for the upgrade. It will probably be about $129 and will be worth every penny. If you don't want to pay for the upgrade, however, Tiger is pretty freakin' good as it stands.

Remember also that an Intel Mac of any type (iMac, Macbook, Mac Mini, etc.) will run Windows. Whether that be via Bootcamp or Parallels (a virtual machine that allows you to run Windows in a window under Mac OS X) you will be able to run whatever current Windows application you have on a Mac. Some Mac users aren't too happy with this ability (they think it will 'take away from the Mac experience') but I think that it's truly the best of both worlds.

I'm sure that someone will come along and correct some of my points, but this should serve as at least a starting basis for answers to your questions. Cheers!

(and what Amen-Moses said)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
Hi DB2k,

I'm a recent switcher and can only comment (or will not to be sure not to mislead you by ignorance) on a few of your questions...

#1: There is a mini-DV to video (composite & S-Video) adapter available. I mistakenly ordered it instead of the DVI to Video one I need for my MBP!

#6: I was a logitech gaming mouse and Zboard (regular & gaming keyboard, limitied edition keyset and Fang device user) And I purchase my MBP with a stand, a bluetooth mighty mouse and keyboard. While nothing beats the Zboard & logitech mouse for gaming, Apple's keyboard is much smoother to type on and I will never, ever, have any other mouse than that one! I can't believe how nice it is... (I must confess that I did activate the 2nd button click, because I honestly find it painful too be pressing a key while clicking to access the second button menu, i guess that what's left of 15 years of PC habits). I totally recommend you to go and try it (I didn't because I wanted change, even for the worse, but I got something better that I would ever expected!) I just hope the batteries last long, because I always forget to turn it off...

One bad thing, the only I found yet, about Apple wirelees keyboard and mouse: It's with a laptop so when I bring it somewhere else, ie out of range for the accessory, I need to restart it to get them working again (there's likely an easier way, but I haven't taken time to take a closer look). The range is pretty awesome though, I can have the MBP 15' away, connected on a projector and no connection issues.

#8, From what I understood regarding Outlook: It simply cannot be replaced! If you were using Outlook to it's potential, and want to keep doing it, because nothing else even comes close to it, your better off running a "PC" version of Office in a Parrallel because the Mac version has entourage instead of Outlook... But if all you used it for was mail, I guess Mail will do the job... and you get also iCal a very good looking calendar application, but without the fonctionnality that makes Outlook irreplaceable for business.

#10: personnal opinion, I love the model which look like a lampost :) but those new ones sure look good, I think it's a winning design: just conventionnal enough to get market penetration but still quite unique to make you feel different...

Regards,
Stephan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Just want to add one thing that many have said. For hardware upgrades, only the RAM is usser serviceable on the iMacs. Eveything else has to be done by Apple, otherwise it voids the warranty, including the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Most of your questions have already been answered quite well by everyone else, so I won't repeat what they've said...

I will say however that in answer to #3, Front Row will play DivX files as long as you have the DivX codec installed. The DVD is region-locked, but VLC can play discs outside of your region. You can also use software to rip a DVD to the hard drive regardless of region, just as you can do with various PC software such as DVDDecrypter. MacTheRipper is handy for that. Much easier to get a hardware DVD player that can be hacked though (I've got a Philips DVP642, but that model has been superseeded with several new, more capable models, all of which [including my 642] will play DivX-encoded AVI files burned to CD/DVD).

For the answer to #4, Office:Mac comes with the Remote Desktop Client that can connect to your PC, assuming you're running XP Pro (XP Home does not support inbound remote connections). I wouldn't recommend using it for doing anything with video, but it's perfectly fine for accessing non-graphically intense software). I believe you can also download the RDC client for free from mactopia.com

#8: Office:Mac comes with Entourage which is so superior to Outlook in the majority of ways that you'll quite likely not miss Outlook. One drawback is that Entourage can not open pst files, so if you've got a lot of saved messages, it will be quite laborious to migrated them. Likewise, you'll have to use a middleware tool of some sort (such as a PDA or mobile) to migrate your contacts into Entourage or Address Book.

#9: Anyone who is ignorant will always say that there's no software for the Mac. Those of us who use them regularly will tell you that there's nearly always a tool for the job. The difference is that the Mac will only have one or two choices in some cases, while you'll have fifteen or more options on the PC. That said, the quality of Mac software generally seems to be quite high, while the same cannot often be said for PC software. Both your choices on the Mac will usually be very good tools, while you'll try all fifteen of the options on the PC just to determine that 13 of them are crap.

#11: Apple generally gives a grace period by where you can upgrade for free, but I don't believe it's more than a few weeks or so. If you buy now, you'll definitely have to pay for Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
One bad thing, the only I found yet, about Apple wirelees keyboard and mouse: It's with a laptop so when I bring it somewhere else, ie out of range for the accessory, I need to restart it to get them working again (there's likely an easier way, but I haven't taken time to take a closer look). The range is pretty awesome though, I can have the MBP 15' away, connected on a projector and no connection issues.

Click the wireless mouse about four times or so. It'll connect back up. Same thing with the keyboard. I use the shift key.

And mea culpa on the iMac HD upgradeability. I was not aware that you could not upgrade the HD without voiding the warrantee. You can a Macbook, which is what I have.

However, you can hook up an external firewire HD to an iMac for up to, well, oodles of storage (I consider about 250GB to be one oodle. 500GB would be two oodles, which would be oodles!) ;) And even daisy-chain them for even more oodles!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.