• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

the music room

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ladies and gentlemen: consider this sort of a bar and grill for music fans of mac-forums.

this isn't necessarily about who your favorite artist is, or what the top ten albums of all time are, but it certainly can be. it's also about the little things. sounds, art, lyrics, voices, etc. the things that really make music unique and especially appealing to you.

so, talk about all the stuff you like, even if it was just a band on tv last night or a song you heard but can't identify.

here's something i was just thinking about (and didn't want to devote a whole thread to).

one thing i love about music is hearing the little imperfections and movements of instruments that are not technically the vocals, notes or beats played. clearing throats, string noises, amp fuzz, piano pedals etc.

i was just listening to a song by ben folds called b@stard, (sorry for bypassing the filter, had to for the story, plus i'm not using it in a derrogotory way, it's the name of the song) at about the 3:16 minute mark the music stops and you can hear ben release the sustain pedal on his piano in a distinct and satisfying "squeeeek/thunk". and again at the end of the song, the music dies out and there's some unidentified noise and residual amp hum.

it's so nice to hear that. not edited out, not drowned out by over layering instruments, etc. elliott smith has a lot of that in his music too, mostly guitar strings squeeling. i love it!

does anyone else like that sort of thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i like music with a heavy bass. i love eh beats in rap music. i could lsten to the music by itself.

i found this new song called Hightrack By Ampliphonic in the music part of this forum. It was Posted By Aptmunic. its really good. everyone shoud check it out

Reaction score
i like music with a heavy bass. i love eh beats in rap music. i could lsten to the music by itself.

i found this new song called Hightrack By Ampliphonic in the music part of this forum. It was Posted By Aptmunic. its really good. everyone shoud check it out

Aptmunich is the singer in that band ... he's got an awesome voice and the band is awesome ... excellent original music!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
yea. i posted on his bored about some shipping information to canada. but never got a reply. i would really like to buy it if you read this Aptmunic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
Ahh, Music will do i start! As a producer/engineer/musician
it always been part of my life since i was 8 years old.
Lately i have been listening to Chris Daughtry's album and i have to say it impressive.
I'm open to different types of music spanish,latin,rap, roots reggae just to name a few.
Btw i havent been into hip hop lately "albums" arent good lately.

T

todd51

I played a mean trumpet for 7 years of grade/high school. I haven't played in years though. I'm mostly into listening to hard rock. I can't stand rap or country.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i tried picking up the guitar a couple times, but never put the time in that was needed to really make a habit out of it. my wife actually bought me a nice takamine (sp?) acoustic 6 string a little over a year ago. i really should put some time into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I played the Alto Sax in middle school, and the Tenor Sax in high school. I can also play Piano.

I mostly listen to Metal, Hard Rock, and some Rap. Can't stand Country.

Reaction score
i tried picking up the guitar a couple times, but never put the time in that was needed to really make a habit out of it. my wife actually bought me a nice takamine (sp?) acoustic 6 string a little over a year ago. i really should put some time into it.

Yeah you should, playing guitar is rewarding and I'm sure the missus will appreciate you using her gift. Just remember no Stairway to Heaven.

T

todd51

Hey StretchR, do you know any other good hard rock bands that I would like?

I currently am listening to:

Breaking Benjamin (Love EM!)
Taproot
Nine Inch Nails
Hinder
Auidoslave
Megadeth (some)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flaw, although they broke up and reformed as Five Bolt Main, both are very good.
Cold
Buckcherry
Brand New Sin - fairly new band with a very unique sound. Was addicted after the first time I heard them

If you like Megadeth, you should have some Metallica.
Earshot
Saliva

thats just a few. I have over 30gb of music, so there are more where those came from.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
todd51, see if you can find samples of any of the following:

...and you will know us by the trail of dead
tool
deftones
failure
blinker the star
year of the rabbit
ministry
the melvins
helmet
black rebel motorcycle club
six by seven
the vines
eels
muse

and if you're brave and have an open mind:
godspeed you black emperor!
godflesh
killing joke
clinic
gang of four

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you a Tool fan Eric? I have a few of their CDs, but not very impressed. I think A Perfect Circle is slightly better.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
different, certainly.

tool is much more complex almost progressive rock music. a perfect circle seems to have it's roots in more of nin type emo/industrial thing. it's a taste difference for sure. i like apc as well, but i find it a bit more shallow. if you do like apc, check out failure, year of the rabbit, on, and blinker the star - these bands are all interrelated through a handful of shared artists/producers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
piano, organ, accordian, guitar (acoustic only 6 & 12 string), banjo, french horn, trumpet, baritone horn, tuba, recorder (alto & tenor)

Had my shot at the big time years ago, both in rock and classical. Don't really play any longer, though I do still have a piano, a yamaha keyboard, a 30 year old takamine (sp - yep) 12 string (very nice, light action axe) and a taylor lying around for when the mood strikes.

This evening listening to John Martyn for the first time in quite awhile. Blown away again, reminded me why he was my favorite musician for so many years. Know for a fact, "never" did anyone enter my house for over 20 years without hearing at least one of his albums. What a soulful voice and an intoxicating mix of mellow, warmth, and a dense mixture of folk, blues and jazz. Music that can take you away with it's sometimes ethereal qualities. Definitely music to sit back, try out the new headphones, close your eyes, and be carried away to another calmer, relaxed plane of existence.

For those out there who have "just discovered" Nick Drake in the last few years, John Martyn was very good friend of Nick's during that period of time in the late 60's and early 70's, and had similar musical styles. John has one album with the title song written about (to, for) Nick.

And if you like Drake, check out a couple of John's albums. Might start with, from '71 & '72 I think - 'Head and Heart' a total acoustic compilation and 'Solid Air' which was the beginning of his foray into mixing Jazz, folk and blues all together in a single package and what many Martyn fans still consider his best (or maybe just their favorite). Then, maybe try one from the 90's where Phil Collins was playing drums for and producing Martyn's albums. (Yeah, yeah, I know CD's nowadays instead of albums, what can I say, old habits die hard.)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good info bobtomay!

i've loved drake for some time now, i'll have to check martyn out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I can play piano fairly well, and I'm working on the accordion. I have a guitar, but I think I've only touched it twice. A lot of my friends have bands or perform solo, but I don't think I would ever try anything like that. When I play music, it's just for me.

As for my taste in music it goes all over the place. My absolute favorite band in the history of the ever ever is Radiohead. I wasn't that big into music before 2003. If you knew what played on the radio down here, you'd understand how I had become so aloof from the musical scene. But upon hearing an early release of 'Wolf at the Door' from Radiohead, I couldn't wait to hear more. I could list the hundreds of bands that I absolutely love now, but I've wasted enough of your time already. ;)

Reaction score
yea. i posted on his bored about some shipping information to canada. but never got a reply. i would really like to buy it if you read this Aptmunic

Yep kman445 ... the exact same happened to me ...asked about buying a cd but didn't get an answer ......

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Anyone here play an instrument? I play the guitar, I'm not too bad, more on the classical side.

Some YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQYQqWwf8n8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le5TOp21wAI

yogi, really nice man! not too bad is certainly an understatement.
i really enjoyed both of those.
icon14.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.