Quick email question

Reaction score
Recent switcher, just got my mbp about 10 days ago. I use a web-based email account (UW alumni, go Badgers!) and would like to know how to make it my default when I click on hyperlinked email addresses. I'm a pretty basic email user and don't have any interest in learning to use osx's mail program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If your email is web based (like gmail)... I don't believe you can set it to be the default email without using Mail.app. (or thunderbird, or entourage, etc)

I know you didn't want to hear about Mail.app BUT, I have Mail.app set-up using my gmail account (also web based)... So when I click an addy, Mail opens a new mail to send through/from my gmail account.

If you need any help setting it up just let me know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Recent switcher, just got my mbp about 10 days ago. I use a web-based email account (UW alumni, go Badgers!) and would like to know how to make it my default when I click on hyperlinked email addresses. I'm a pretty basic email user and don't have any interest in learning to use osx's mail program.

AFAIK, it is not possible to link a web based mail application as a default mail client. The default mail client should be installed on you mac for this option to work. Configuring Mail.app is not that difficult. May be you should give it a try. ;) Let us know if you have any problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.