• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I MISS My Powerbook!!!!!! :(

Reaction score
I took my 12" Powerbook in for a bottom case replacement, as it had taken a tumble. Apple wanted $800, so I found a bottom case on EBay and took it to a local Apple repair place - CryWolf computers. Well, since they had to crack the case open anyway I ordered a 100 gig 7200 RPM drive and asked them to upgrade it. So they did. Unfortunately, after they completed the repair they told me they were getting feedback issues with the speaker assembly. So they took it apart, diagnosed, re-assembled, and then the feedback issue went from the left speaker to the right speaker. The tech was baffled, and said it would have to be sent into Apple for repair.

At the time (November) I couldn't afford to be parted from it, as I use Word to record my professors' lectures. Anyhow, I was going to take back in January for them to do it, but I didn't want to part with it.

So yesterday I finally brought it to them. So now I'll have to wait 7-10 business days to get it back. I miss it already! I was going to buy a Mac Pro right after MWSF, but his Steveness didn't release any updates to the Mac Pro line. I'm waiting for the octo-core options, as I expect the pricing on the dual core setups to decrease. I am also hoping for better video card upgrade options. The 1900XT is sort of yesterday's news so.... So now I am sitting here typing this with my PC, and two Apple Store gift cards just waiting..... There is a rumor there will be a special event on the 20th of February, so I am hoping we'll see a refresh to the Mac Pro line. It's long overdue in my opinion.

Anyway, just wanted to post and say that I miss my Powerbook. I can't wait until I get it back, then get my Mac Pro and be completely PC-less in the future!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it will be back... soon... hopefully..

and it will be upgraded and you shall be happy.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
That sucks and I can relate to it in a big way.

OP
S
Reaction score
I mean, don't get me wrong. It's not like I'm stranded on a desert island or anything....:spook: I mean, I do have Internet via my PC, and I can play games (well, shouldn't really as I need to study). I'm typing right now on a custom-built machine set inside a mammoth Coolermaster "Stacker" case, with side window. I added uv lighting, and I watercooled it with a custom loop.

My PC experience went from Dell laptop, Dell Dimension 8200 desktop, 8250 desktop, built my own, watercooled it, bought new parts and a new case and built my own and watercooled it again. But to tell you the truth, I got bored with overclocking and tweaking and everything that goes with being an "enthusiast" PC user.

Getting the Powerbook in November 2005 was an eye-opener. I had no idea about the interoperability aspect (i.e. Office for Mac, ability to share files, etc) until someone in class told me about it. So I thought I'd expand my horizons by getting a Powerbook and investigate what I thought was a "closed" system.

I fell in love with the OS, the iLife suite, Garageband, and then bought Logic Pro and an M-Audio Ozone midi keyboard to work with my music. Of course Logic can bring the PB to its knees after quite a few tracks.

But the intuitiveness of the OS and the elegance of the hardware is what really put the hook in me. Now, when the refreshed Mac Pros come out, I am going to sell off the PC except for the drives, and Parallel my XP installation for PC-only apps I have.

I am urging all my friends and family to make the switch.Especially those friends who have children, because they can create beautiful things in iPhoto and iMovie with a few simple clicks and be done with it. And I'm going to try to hone my amateur video-making skills by getting Final Cut Express.

Uggh...... 9 more "business" days until I have my Powerbook back! -And yes, I used SuperDuper! to clone the HDD before taking it in.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
lol

I was the same, I was always adding or clocking something. Then I bought a mac after I tested Vista in the beta and I have never looked back. I decided to buy a mac pro too. But I also decided to do a masters degree part-time so I have to pay for that soon so I have to save again.

OP
S
Reaction score
lol

I was the same, I was always adding or clocking something. Then I bought a mac after I tested Vista in the beta and I have never looked back. I decided to buy a mac pro too. But I also decided to do a masters degree part-time so I have to pay for that soon so I have to save again.

I've been doing a double Master's - an MBA and a Master's in Information Technology. Been going full time since Summer 2005. Should be done this December. Problem is, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! LOL

Also, the IT portion of my degree leaves a little to be desired. I don't think I am getting my money's worth in that department. I've had five IT classes - ALL WITH THE SAME GUY, and he's a horrible professor. They recently closed down the IT Master's so I am forced to take classes at another university. What an eye-opener that was......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.