New iMac preloaded with "trial" Microsoft Word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
I keep getting messages telling me that my "free trial" use of Microsoft Word is running out. That program costs apx $400 bucks!!!!! Do I really need this?
Have already bought iWork '06 but haven't downloaded it yet (it's still in the box) so I really don't know what iWork is all about. Are these 2 programs alike?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Well, they both have a word processor and a presentation program, but office comes with a spreadsheet program and a mail program. So it depends on what you need. If you need to work with Microsoft Office documents from work or school then you should probably get Office. If you don't need that or a spreadsheet program, then stick with iWork. There is also a Student and Teacher edition of Office for less than $150; no one checks whether you're actually a student or teacher though. Also, there is an iWork trial that comes with your Mac, so you can try it out if you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I keep getting messages telling me that my "free trial" use of Microsoft Word is running out. That program costs apx $400 bucks!!!!! Do I really need this?
Have already bought iWork '06 but haven't downloaded it yet (it's still in the box) so I really don't know what iWork is all about. Are these 2 programs alike?

I think the decision is completely yours to make.

As was indicated you could get NeoOffice, it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

If you are a student... maybe even a UT student go the the Univ. Bookstore. If I remember correctly the UT bookstore sells MS OFFICE for Mac for around $10....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.