Frist Impressions of my 17" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Ok,

I will try to make this as streamlined as possible. Some of you know I like to indulge in my posts.... :cool:

Anyway, First impression is WOW... HOLY... The screen is big, but more then that....because of the resolution I can now have my browser on one side of the screen, with Entourage in the upper right hand corner and pathfinder OR a dvd OR Itunes etc in the bottom right corner.

I have wanted this for as long as I have used computers.

It took me a while to realize that it is a resolution thingy, not a monitor or laptop screen thingy

(*My wife has purchased the trademark on the work 'thingy')

Anyway. Just because I didn't want to make my work day a buzzkill with the wrong resolution. I went to CC today and found an LG 20.1 inch monitor
1680 x 1050 resolution for $299.00 normally $349.00

So now I will have the same visual experience as my desk on my laptop. That, now that I think about it, is something that is VERY critical for me. I don't see the point in having to change my whole user processing experiance once I leave the office and go home.

Plus I am spoiled :)

Anyway, now for the downsides of the 17"

It is noticeably heavier. Now it is NOT heavy...just heavier then the 15".

Also the bezel, bevel, screen joint, whatever you call it, is pretty loose. If I open it up and have it in my lap, then stand up quickly, and don't angle it correctly, then it will try and close.

I am not sure if I am going to send it in for repair or not....I don't want to part with it right now :)

Anyway, I will post more tonight!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Glad you're enjoying your MacBook Pro. I got my 17" not too long ago and it's truly amazing. At first it seemed really big, but I quickly got used to it and now the 15" model seem tiny!

The screen hinge is normal, they're all like that. It's more made to be used on a flat surface, not with your knees up, personally I like the smoothness and ease of opening the case rather than the stiffness of the iBook's screen. It just seems better quality to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
Sorry, but my screen is held firmly, no matter what angle I put it, maybe you should have it repaired...

(but it's only 2-3 weeks old)

Regards,
Stephan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
my screen is exactly like yours. sent it in for repair they sent it back the say way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
DTT - you pretty much summed up my words as well. I, too, got a 17" MBP very recently (3 hours ago).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Yes! It is clearly the greatest thing ever. On top of that, if you go to the settings for your track-pad you can set it to ignore "accidental inputs" - ie. input from typing. The two of these things are a great combination, making it so easy to type and use the track-pad. Oh yeah, this is by far the best keyboard i have ever used on a laptop. The only complaint that I have is the lack of a full number pad. This isn't that big of a deal, but it would be nice , at least for games. I suppose an external num-pad may be in order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What I really love about Mac laptops is the HUGE trackpad. I had to work on some PC laptops and found it so frustrating to use their tiny trackpads. Funny thing was that I found myself double-tapping to right-click, forgetting for a moment that I had to physically press a button :bomb:

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
What I really love about Mac laptops is the HUGE trackpad. I had to work on some PC laptops and found it so frustrating to use their tiny trackpads. Funny thing was that I found myself double-tapping to right-click, forgetting for a moment that I had to physically press a button :bomb:

Yup that has happened to me sometimes. I am just realizing that the whole long click mouse button is a single click, not right or left.....I laughed when I realized that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.